Injured Sidekick

The clock read 12:03 when I heard the knock on my front door. Who would be at my door this early. Rain beat against the window making it hard to hear any other sounds. Sitting up in my bed I wiped the sleep from my eyes and went to the door. I didnt even bother putting my mask on, nobody would recognize me anyway. The knock sounded again, softer, and I opened it. "Im right here, what do you- Why are you here?" Looking down a child stood, shivering at my door. My security had joined me and went to grab the child but I raised my hand to stop them. I narrowed my eyes and catalogued the bruises and every point of weakness. The child looked at the ground, uniform ripped and only half of their mask remained of their face. "Youre hurt."

"Its t-training." I shook my head and looked out across the street, there was no hero parked watching us. 

"Training... Get inside, you need your injuries looked at." The child hesitated before coming in, the rain had begun to slow. "Bathroom is down the hall to the right. Ill have one of my men bring you clean clothes to change into." He nodded and went to the bathroom.

"Are you sure about this Ma'am? He is the enemy."

"He's a child, and hurt. Thats not training, you should know that better than anyone Diane." My own sidekick, Diane, nodded and I snapped my fingers. Collin, a fairly big man, came over to see what I needed. "Collin, wheres Jeremy? I need him to bring clothes to Zero."

"I could do it ma'am."

"You would frighten him. It's nothing against you, but your body shape is big and threatening. I need someone a bit smaller." I smiled at him and he nodded fetching Jeremy for me.

"You needed me?"

"Yes, I have Zero in the bathroom down the hall, would you mind getting him some clothes from the guest room for him? His clothes he has on now are terribly ripped." Jeremy nodded and went to go get the clothes. He was a smaller build, about Zeros height and weight. Sure Zero might become a little scared just because of where he is. But that was all okay. As long as he isn't getting hurt. There was a frightened scream that came from the bathroom and I went to go investigate. Zero was curled up in a ball shaking, I leaned down by him and placed my hand on his shoulder lightly. "Zero?" He looked at me, his eyes filing with tears, "What happened?" Jeremy walked into the doorway with the clothes and waited.

"The...The mirror.... I thought I... I thought I saw someone else.... behind me..." Zero shook and looked at me. "S..Sorry... It was probably n...nothing..." I shook my head smiling softly.

"You dont need to apologize. Im just glad your okay." He looked surprised at my answer.

"Why are you helping me?" He pulled away from my touch and sat up. "Im your enemy..."

"You are an injured child that just so happens to follow orders made by my enemy." I stood and Zero followed suit. I took the clothes from jeremy with a slight nod of thanks and gave them to Zero. "Turn the knob left for heat and right for cold. Pull it to turn on the water and push to turn it off again. You can use the Axe body wash and shampoo. If you need anything just call for Jeremy. Once your done you can get dressed and meet me in the kitchen. Im gonna make some food, you obviously havent been eating enough lately." He nodded.

"Thank you." I smiled and walked to the kitchen Jeremy and Zero talked for a minute and then Jeremy came to the kitchen with me, allowing Zero to shower on his own. "How is he?"

"Better. Your words calmed him." Jeremy got some coffee and poured a cup for me as well. He put cream and sugar in the cup and handed it to me. "He'll need some time though, he didnt say exactly what Mirage did, but he said it was dangerous."