Chapter 14

Chapter 13: The Final Exams Part 1, Announcements.

Naruto scowled as he looked around the meeting hall. All the teams from Konoha (excluding Kabuto's) had made it, as well as the Suna team. There was no sign of the Sound team.

"Well..." the lead instructor looked up, "My name is Hayate and I'll be your *Cough* instructor for the final *Cough* part of the exam."

"He looks half dead," Naruto grumbled. He was once again wearing his mask.

"I wonder if I can help him, my healing cream is effective on most wounds," Hinata smiled at Naruto.

"I have to admit, even with my fast regenerative abilities, I notice an effect with your cream." Naruto chuckled.

"Now, the final exam will be in a tournament style, with each of you drawing numbers. Those who fail in the first round will fail the entire test. All those who get into the quarter finals stage will be considered for Chuunin. That is all." Hayate burst out into another coughing fit.

"Seriously, I wonder how he got to Jounin level, what's he do? Cough on people till they die?" Naruto grumbled.

"If anyone wants to drop out," Hayate looked up, "Now is the time." He waited several minutes before concluding, "Well draw your numbers." He motioned to the jug in front of him as an electronic table lit up on the display behind Hayate showing the table structure. 8 Matches to 4 Matches to 2 matches to a final. "One will fight two; three will fight four and so on, until we get to fifteen, who will have a bye."

Naruto strolled to the front, "Let's see...I am number...2?"

Sakura walked up, 'please not one, please not one,' "Eight." 'Thank the lord!'

Hinata nodded and approached the bowl. "Number 9," She smiled.

"Five," Sasuke shrugged.

"Three," Kankuro looked uneasy.

"Thirteen," Temari grinned and winked at Naruto, much to Hinata's distaste.

"Seven," Gaara stated emotionlessly although Kankuro visibly sagged with relief.

"Ten," Kiba grinned. 'Alright! Hinata is my opponent!'

"Twelve," Shino stated.

"Fourteen," Lee exclaimed. 'Yosh! The Suna lady is to be my opponent!'

"Six," Tenten glanced at Sasuke. 'I'll show that stuck up idiot who's a capable fighter! And Sasuke too.'

"Four," Neji stated. 'Hmm...the Suna idiot in the cat pyjamas is to be my opponent.'

Kankuro noted the gaze, 'A Hyuuga? This could be difficult.'

"Eleven," Ino looked up, 'Eww! The Bug boy!'

"One," Chouji grinned and nodded at Kitsune, who returned his nod.

"Fifteen," Shikamaru looked up at the board. "I get a free round?"

"So then," Hayate coughed before continuing, "The First stage of the Final exam has Kitsune of Konoha versus Chouji of the same."

"Er..." Kitsune cleared his throat. "I am not Kitsune anymore." He removed the mask and smiled, "You can put me down as Naruto Uzumaki Namikaze."

This got a stir, even from those who knew Naruto was Kitsune. There were murmurs of "Naruto?" and "Namikaze?"

"Very well," Hayate nodded, "Make that Naruto of Konoha versus Chouji of the same."