Chapter two

It was painfully apparent to Gladio that Ignis hated him, with good reason, of course but even so. He'd been steadily learning more about the two boys and even though Prompto had been sent elsewhere, Ignis was fiercely protective of him, pinning Gladio with that fiery glare everytime he mentioned the Pixie and only allowing him to know the necessary information. Details found in every textbook. Gladio's increasing curiosity did little for him apart from cause trouble with his father.

Clarus protected the King but seemed to have a personal vendetta against the fae, he followed his orders to a fault. Imagine his dismay to find out his son, the protector of the Prince, having doubts about what he knows and what he's fighting for. Truth be told, Gladio doesn't really know what he's fighting for. His elders tell tales of the monstrous fae and their terrible deeds, assure him that he should be fighting for the safety of generations to come but as a lad, he can't say for sure whether he believes it and knowing two fae children doesn't help the matter.

A couple of times it's crossed his mind to ask his father for a proper explanation but the man always looks unapproachable. Iris understands Gladio's plight, sure, she's younger and doesn't necessarily need to know about the war and the fae, but she too has seen pictures and fairy tales about them. Gladio's almost certain Prompto goes to her school.

Somewhere in his mind, he wonders whether Cor actually followed his orders that day, it wasn't long ago, not really but time had passed and Gladio was none the wiser. Then again, if he hadn't Prompto would have been able to escape and fly home, Ignis would have been able to use magic to... Well, Gladio doesn't know the extent of an Elves magic- A High Elf even less so- but he doesn't want to be on the receiving end. There's only so much a book can tell you when the author themselves aren't sure.

Which comes back to how he's currently staring in awe at Ignis. Again. He's too nosy for his own good and it's going to catch up to him one day.

"What're you doing?" Gladio asked, finally making himself known. He didn't doubt the fae knew he was there but it was self-gratifying to think he was stealthy.

The young shield was lured to him by following an unusual sound, it didn't seem dangerous at all, merely unfamiliar. A melodic and pure sound, like something out of a dream, or something that you could fall asleep to, dance to even. Deep in the garden, surrounded by trees and flowers, sat the Elven boy with a wooden object in his hands. Needless to say, his presence wasn't wanted but he wasn't told to 'bugger off' either.

Ignis' gaze switched from Gladio's questioning face, to the object in his hands and back again. "What does it look like?" He replied bluntly. Seeing the confusion grow on Gladio's face must have been a refreshing, if not amusing sight. "It's a flute. Have you not seen one before?"

"No. What does it do? Make odd noises?" Gladio edged closer to better view the flute, itching to touch it but wary of its owner.

"Attracts unwanted attention more like. It's a musical instrument, surely you've heard music before, even you humans aren't that dull."

Again, Gladio must have looked like a confused puppy for the elf sighed heavily, holding the flute towards him. When the other didn't take it, he took it upon himself to put it in his hand, internally cursing a human's stupidity. Gladio looked at the instrument in pure, childlike fascination, turning it around in his hand to examine every inch.

It wasn't anything special to Ignis, he made it from a chunk of scrap wood he found laying around so he could easily make another but it was a reminder of home, the memories are of more value than the object itself. A reminder of nights spent with his family, his father and uncle teaching to make snowflakes appear on his hands like ink, his mother in the kitchen working her own magic and the children outside dancing away with their families. He can still feel the warmth of the fire sometimes, hear his mother's voice, his father and uncle bickering on what to teach him next.