Chapter three

6 years ago - The Fall of Silme Dúlin

Deep in the forest, past the mountains and to the left of the giant oak tree, you could find the Elven village of Silme Dúlin. They didn't pretend they were better than other elves, not at all, they all acted the same but some just had extra talents and traits. These families were known as high born or high elves, given two surnames to serve as a reminder of the difference. Contrary to popular belief they were not stuck-up and snobbish like humans thought, instead they were simply different in the best way, like many fae-folk.

One such family was the Scientia's, otherwise known as Stupeo Scientia's, for the longest time they'd had a pure line of gifted children and become one of the few 'noble' families. Their youngest and brightest yet, being Ignis. Amias, Ignis' father, was a record keeper and his mother Nica, was a teacher. Lucius Scientia also lived in the village, returning after his wife tragically passed away. Suffice to say, the stories humans dreamt up were just that. Stories. Sure, the elves did have a ruling body, the council but they were comprised of regular people, a collection of the different races as it were.

Amias returned home, telling himself he was ready for his son's imminent ambush but, when he opened the door all was as it should be. No hyperactive child running about, no frozen feet- Ignis' favourite prank- Nor any scorch marks on the floor. Curious but cautious, he stepped inside and still found nothing out of the ordinary. Lucius lay asleep on the couch, yellow leaves adorned his dark hair which meant Ignis was home. But where? Nica wouldn't be home yet so he wasn't with her.

He flicked Lucius on the nose, the other man jumping awake with a squeak. "Wha- Oh. You're home early, everything alright?" He asked, rubbing his eyes and scowling when a stray leaf fell in front of his face.

"Yes, there wasn't much for me today so I was permitted to come home, lest I die of boredom. Have you seen Ignis?" Amias stifled his chuckle at seeing his brother shaking his head like a dog, leaves flying this way and that.

"No. He's obviously home but your foot isn't wet-" He stopped upon hearing a giggle, both men searched the room quickly but still, nothing was wrong or out of place. It was suspicious to say the least. "Please, please brother, tell me you didn't teach him how to turn himself invisible. You did, didn't you?"

Lucius didn't miss the guilty look his brother wore, burying his face in his hands, shaking his head. "Oh come now. I couldn't say no to his face, you didn't see it. I couldn't have rejected him if I tried." He reasoned, setting his bag on the floor beside the sofa. "Lucius, he gave me the puppy eyes, if I remember correctly even you can't say no to that."

"I wonder where he got that from..."

Amias looked at him, feigning offence at the accusation. "Certainly not I!"

Another giggle, this one louder than the last and Ignis jumped up from behind the sofa, roaring with his fingers curled and teeth bared, Lucius almost jumped out of his skin and Amias made an indignant squeal. All three of them burst out in laughter, the elder two silently vowed never to teach the little minx to turn himself invisible properly, Amias only gave him the version that was temporary.

"You're too much like your mother, you know that?" Amias said, jumping over the couch to scoop Ignis into his arms, ruffling his already messy hair.

He spoke the truth, Ignis looked and acted like his mother, you'd never be able to tell Amias was his father from looks alone, except for his eyes. Nica had mismatched, bright blue and grey eyes whereas Amias had a dark green that paled at the edges, Ignis' were exactly like that but he had the added brightness that his mother had, making them look unnatural but beautiful all the same. Lucius too, had green eyes but they permanently darkened from the loss of his wife.