Chapter Two

So once the cops caught us, we got to spend the whole rest of the day in the waiting room of child protective services as we waited for a caseworker to meet with us and decide what she was going to do with us. Eventually, we met and learned where we'd be shipped off next.

"So, I see your last foster home reported you two missing two days ago?" The Caseworker explained to us.

She sat across from us at her desk while we sat in two chairs side by side. Her office was littered with papers and encouraging phrases about foster care, but Baylor and I knew most of these slogans were lies.

"You're sending us back?" Baylor asked urgently. I shared his worry; we couldn't go back to John. He was the worst foster parent we've ever had.

"No, he doesn't want you," She admitted glaring at Baylor.

"Good, we don't want him," Baylor snorted.

The Caseworker deeply sighed before pulling out a file and began looking through it, "You two have run from good people in six different counties. Good people that want you."

"No, they don't, and you wouldn't be saying that if you knew who they are," Baylor argued, wrapping one arm around me.

"Even if that was true, you two need foster parents since your former parents aren't around," She explained. That was like an arrow to the heart to hear that our former parents weren't around. I almost wanted to cry.

"We have a Mom she's out there we know it," Baylor argued strongly.

"Yes, you two are some detectives," She began pulling out Baylor's notebook, "45 Parkers between the ages of 24 and 41 and you two have crossed off every single one."

"She's out there; we just have to keep looking," Baylor pleaded. I knew my Brother was right Mom is out there, and if we keep trying will eventually find her. Right?

She deeply sighed once again and stood up from her desk and came around to sit down in front of us, "Boys there is a real argument that your Mom isn't even looking and that she doesn't even want you."

Baylor gritted his teeth, and I could tell he was on the verge of snapping back at this woman, so I grabbed his hand and smiled, helping him relax.

Baylor took a deep breath and calmed down before addressing the woman," We can take care of ourselves. We don't need parents to play make-believe with."

Our Caseworker was beginning to look frustrated but didn't say anything about Baylor's comment instead insisted on ignoring it, "Be as that may I've found a couple willing to take you. They run a group home and are the best Foster parents I know.

I gave Baylor a worried look, and he returned it we knew what a new foster home meant more pain and suffering. Even if this Caseworker thought they were the best yet, the best foster parent probably wasn't very friendly or protective.

"And before either of you think about running off, let me warn you if you do, I'll have no choice but to separate both of you."

Those words shot my nerves to eleven. I can't be away from Baylor he's my Brother, and the only person that's ever cared about me, I wouldn't survive.

"You can't do that?" Baylor argued angrily, standing up from his seat.

"Sit down, Mr. Parker." She ordered.

"No, I'm not going to sit down. You see that little kid sitting there. I'm all he's got, and he's all I've got," Baylor said, plugging emotion into his words and making me want to cry because I know he was right. If I ended up in a foster home without Baylor, I wouldn't make it.