Chapter Seven

"Excuse me, Lady Gaiges I'm sorry I seem to have to mishear you. Could you repeat what you said?"

A hint of warning can be heard in those simple words.

"I- I said that what Lady Charis said wasn't true..."

Alice stammered, her eyes never left the ground as Charis sent a subtle glare her way. The other ladies started to feel uneasy; avoiding eye contact and were constantly shifting in their seats.

"What happened, my child?"

"Well, we were having a simple discussion about the Prince. The entire conversation was civil before Lady Botshaw, Lady Murrell and Lady De Loughrey started attacking Lady Serabi. One of the ladies threw a biscuit at Lady Serabi, though I don't know who."

Ever since she was young Lady Alice was an honest child and was never good at lying, so everyone trusted Alice's words. While the mothers looked towards their daughters for an explanation, Duchess Pacifica was trying her best to conceal her anger, knowing that someone dared to throw a biscuit at her daughter, she decided not to invite the same people again. The other ladies could sense the change in the atmosphere and waited for Duchess Pacifica to speak.

"I apologise, Ladies and Duchesses, I'm afraid you will all have to leave; it has been a lovely tea party, I will surely invite you the next time I have a tea party."

"Of course; it was a lovely party Duchess Pacifica, and it was so nice to have finally met you, Lady Serabi."

A hint of sarcasm can be heard from Duchess Blanc; her eyes shifted towards her daughter. Charis, expecting her to say something similar to her mother.

"Duchess Pacifica de Purineus, I am grateful to be invited to this party and Lady Serabi, I will certainly invite you to be at my next annual party."

"Thank-you, Lady Charis, I am honoured for you to consider me for your party."

The famous annual parties held by Charis Blanc are quite spectacular, held every autumn, many nobles invited are from the neighbouring empires and nobles from the Sun nation. The gatherings are an excellent opportunity for the nobles to develop business relationships and to show off their wealth through extravagant dresses and jewellery.

As the Ladies and Duchesses begin to leave one by one, each showing gratitude for inviting them to the party until Duchess Kandi and Alice are the only ones here.

Duchess Pacifica must've become friends with Duchess Kandi. I'm glad that we held this tea party, I assume because of Lady Serabi, Duchess Pacifica probably lost many friends during the time she spent stressing over Serabi's obsessions.

"Do you like roses, Lady Alice?"

Seeing Alice standing by the roses, I decided to strike up a conversation, startled by the sudden question, Alice stumbled a few steps away from me and began to stutter.

"I-I, y-yes I l-love roses."

"I like roses too. And as for before Lady Alice, thank you for sticking up for me."

A smile made its way to my face as I shifted my focus from the red roses to Alice.

"There's no need to thank me, Lady Serabi. All I said was the truth."

She's blushing, so cute! Lady Alice Gaiges, an honest, kind-hearted person and humble, she is the perfect person for me to befriend.

"Lady Alice, would you like to come over to my house sometime and have tea together?"

"I would love to, Lady Serabi!"

A pair of hands grabbed my own hands and a look of excitement presented itself on Alice's face.