Chapter One

A/N; I am really really really excited to share this all with you! I have actually already wrote the whole thing and I am just editing it now as I post the chapters. I feel like I have finally perfected Percy's personality, damn that took way too long. But I feel like this is definitely my best writing piece yet.. So, I hope you enjoy and I apologize in advance for Thalia's personality. I kept re-writing everything she did but at the end I never felt like it was right and it was taking too much time so I just left it as it is. Thank you for reading! :)

Special thanks to funny2017 for making the pretty cover! 

It was Leo's idea to go to the fair, and with much credit all of his spastic and vociferous pleading, he managed to annoy everyone else into agreeing to tag along. Percy's mostly going because Luke is going, and Luke is mostly going because Thalia said she might make an appearance. Typical, Percy thinks, watching his best friend glance around in what he believes to be a casual way.

It's not that Percy hates fairs—he loves them, really; he delights in the bright lights and the laughter that seems to push at his ears from all sides. It's a happy place, or at least somewhere people go to be happy, and it's the kind of atmosphere Percy would stay in forever if he could. There are few things Percy loves more than happy people, and the variety of fried food at his disposal is nothing if not a plus.

Never let it be said that Percy doesn't like the way fairs make him feel. But let it be known far and wide that he won't touch those rides that shoot up a million feet in the air, nor will he mess with the ones that spin in circles so quickly, he feels sick just from looking at them.

Percy and the guys lap the fairgrounds twice before they decide to start out easy with the Pharaoh ride. Percy doesn't like that one—doesn't like the sensation of flying anymore than actually flying—so he decides to stand near the exit holding two big jackets and one watered down Mountain Dew. He almost regrets coming. He's never been a huge fan of fair rides save the Ferris wheel and Tilt-A-Whirl, but it's better than spending his Friday night doing the homework due Monday, he guesses.

The guys get off the ride, all of their hair sticking up in a few different directions. Luke ruffles Percy's hair up for good measure, then they all dash off to the Ring of Fire.

Percy stares up at it, contemplating; it would be totally safe to drape all of their belongings over the fence surrounding the ride, of course, so there doesn't have to be a man left behind every time they ride something. Not to mention the fact that Percy bought the unlimited riding wristband alongside everyone else, even if most of the rides are far too dangerous for his taste.

"You coming?" Luke questions, a few steps away. Percy opens his mouth and closes it, and even though he doesn't say anything, his best friend still understands somehow. "Hey, if you're not up to it, it's fine. I know you get a little... you know."

Percy, predictably, feels like a loser—like the one teenager in all of the park who doesn't want to do something reckless, who doesn't like the way wind feels on his face. "I think I'll go get something to eat. Meet you guys after?"

Luke smiles kindly and pats him on the shoulder. "Of course. I'll make sure we ride the Ferris wheel before the night's over, too. I know you like that the most."

Percy gives a short nod, seeing a few more people saunter up to the Ring of Fire. "You better hurry before all the seats are filled."

It takes him a while to find a place that has any hot chocolate left, since it's past eleven and most families have already come and gone after consuming the majority of the fair's supply of warm drinks. It's not much, just chocolate mix poured into some hot water, and the marshmallows have already melted into little white dots of foam, but it cheers Percy up anyways. After all, he's drinking hot chocolate while all of his friends are upside down on a death trap of a ride.