Chapter Ten

- 

"The answer is 4, not 6," Y/N says, tapping her paper with her pencil. Percy stares at her hand for a second, but eventually forces his eyes over to the problem. She leans closer until she's reading the paper over his shoulder, readjusting his book so that she can see what the question was asking. Percy doesn't move a muscle. "Like, look... The price floor is here. The equilibrium is here. That's a surplus of 4 units, not 6."

Two weeks ago, Y/N came over with the premise of getting guidance on her economics homework. They ended up wasting too much time talking, eventually boycotting the idea of finishing their homework early, and ended up watching The Hunger Games. She came over again on Thursday, and then they really did finish their homework—Y/N a good half hour before Percy. She made a 97 on the quiz they had on Friday, quite a few points ahead of his typical score of an 85. Percy's calling bullshit.

"I'm calling bullshit," he announces, dropping his pencil on top of his notebook. It rolls until it's about to fall off the table, and Y/N reaches out to catch it before he can.

Y/N scowls at him, holding his pencil just out of his reach like it's a hostage situation. "Percy, the answer is 4. It's not 6."

"No, not on—" He shakes his head, reaching out for his pencil, but Y/N only shifts back further. He relents. "No, you're right. I know that."

"Good." She sits back in her seat, satisfied, and deposits his pencil into his hand. "What's bullshit, then?"

"You don't need help with economics," he declares, gesturing to her nearly finished homework. He'll bet that every single one of them are correct, too. "Especially not my help. You understand this better than I do."

"That's not true," Y/N says, affronted. He can't tell if she's offended on his behalf, or her own. She clears her throat, like she's about to say something important, but she doesn't look him in the eye. "I really did need help with the supply chapter."

"But you're fine with price. Great with price, even."

"Thanks. Now what did you get for number 7?"

"Y/N—"

"Percy," she says, and she sounds just as exasperated as she looks. He looks at her to show that he's all ears. She keeps his gaze for maybe a millisecond before she glances away, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Just... Economics. We have work to do."

"You could do it alone, though," he starts, trying to prove his point, refusing to take his eyes off her. Her skin has a distracting healthy glow to it, with just barely visible freckles here and there. "You don't need my help."

Y/N sighs, turning to look at him blankly. Some emotion skitters across her face too quickly for Percy to decide what it is, then she scowls, crossing her arms. "If you really wanted to get rid of me that bad, you could have just said it."