Chapter Twenty Seven

Being casually exclusive with Y/N, Percy learns, isn't all that different from how he thinks dating her would be

Being casually exclusive with Y/N, Percy learns, isn't all that different from how he thinks dating her would be. She comes over about as much as she did before, just most of the time without the pretense of actually getting work done, sometimes holds his hand while they watch their pick of the day, and continues to tease him relentlessly about anything and everything. And there's definitely some kissing sprinkled in there, too. A rather lot, now that Percy reflects on it. He doesn't mind though. 

There's also one small not-quite-argument about jealousy (Percy's fault) and one embarrassing incident with his mom (Y/N's fault) and two meals that they burned after getting distracted (Percy would argue that it's Y/N's fault, but it's not like he was telling her not to kiss him).

They tell Percy's mom about ten days after their first kiss, and while she doesn't seem all that surprised, she does say she's happy for both of them. Percy meets Y/N's mom two days after that, and while the woman is severe and somewhat cold, he has to admit there's something regal about her—similar to the vibe Y/N gives off, just in a larger dosage. She's polite throughout the albeit brief meeting, not kind nor unkind, but mostly seems like she's sizing him up. It's reminiscent of the way Y/N looked at him as soon as she was assigned the seat to his left sophomore year in chemistry.

As soon as they exit Y/N's house, off to meet the rest of the group at whatever gig Luke's picked up this time, Y/N apologizes for her mother. Percy tells her she's ridiculous and doesn't leave her side for the rest of the night.

Percy realizes pretty soon that it's no easy fall with Y/N L/N. It's sort of like he was tumbling through the air for a while, with every intention of sticking the landing, and ended up colliding with a tree. And now he can't avoid hitting other branches on his way to the cold, hard ground where he'll probably end up with a bruise or two (and, regrettably, not the kind he recently discovered Y/N likes to give him on his jaw). It's totally, doubtlessly worth it. That might be the scariest part.

There are days where Percy and Y/N do actually vow to do their work. Usually Percy sprawls out on the floor and Y/N sits criss-cross on the couch, since she can't stand the way he always has some form of restless jitters when he does homework. Percy likes it well enough just being in her space, soaking up the good vibes and getting confidence injected into his veins when she sees it fit to offer an unbidden motivational speech with Percy serving as the only audience member. She also helps him out when he gets stuck on a particularly impossible math problem, and, well, he learned a long time ago that Y/N likes teaching people things.

Being as lucky as he is, he's learned how Y/N likes to be kissed (it depends on her mood, but she usually goes for playful) and when she likes her hand to be held (primarily on car rides, but she won't say no to any other time). He's also learned other things, like the fact that she has a lot of thoughts and emotions brought on by her parent's divorce that she's still working through, and, much to Percy's amazement, she can recite soliloquies from Shakespeare on command.