Ten

^Nothing to do with the story but my god he's gorgeous^

Everything that happened next was a blur, Merle and Dad ran forewords lifting Daryl and draping one arm over each of their shoulders and carried him towards the house.

What if he died? What if I never get to tell him that what I feel is more than just some crush? If I never get to hear his voice again? Or see his ocean blue eyes staring into mine?

What if he doesn't make it?

"Lyla! Come on, we gotta move." Shane's voice ripped me out of my thoughts and I took of running towards the house that Daryl had disappeared into.

Just as I was about to go through the front door a body appeared and caught me before I could fall.

"Come on, Hershel needs space to work. He said he'll come get us when he's done." Dad whispered as he slightly nudged me to walk back down the steps. "I need to talk to you Lyl's." He said as he sat me down on the bottom step taking a seat beside me.

"If it's the whole stay away from the Dixons thing mums beat you to it." I mumbled looking down at the dirt I was moving around with the toes of my shoes.

"What? No, no. She's just stressed, that's all, you know she's pregnant right?" He said as he kept his eyes infront rather than looking at me.

"Uh, no I didn't. Congratulations?" I said, more like asked, looking up at him.

He looked at me and sighed leaning forwards with his arms on his knees. "She was having an affair Lyla, with Shane, of all people." He started as he looked away from me and up at the clouds above.

"I know." I whispered looking away. "Carl told me this morning, said he saw them when we was at the quarry, the day you came." I said playing with my fingers.

"I don't know what to do, that baby might not even be mine, what if I can't love it the same as you and Carl?" He asked looking at me, desperation in his eyes.

"Hey, you are the best damn dad I could have ever asked for, that anyone could ask for. It might take some time but I'm sure you'll grow to love the baby regardless of who it's biological father is, Lori loves me even though I'm not hers." I pointed out leaning my head against his shoulder.

"When did you get so damn grown up?" He whispered looking down at me.

"I'm 21 now daddy, I couldn't stay a baby forever could I." I smiled at him as he shook his head.

"I love you Lyla, you know that right?" He said as he hugged me in our sitting position.

"Of course I know, I love you too Daddy." I smiled returning the hug and standing up.

"I'm gunna go see how Merles doing, probably not great." I smiled sadly at my dad thinking about the man lying upstairs with a bullet hole in his head.

Nodding his head he looked up at me. As I was walking away I heard his voice once more.

"Lyla! By the way, the Dixon's ain't all bad." He said winking at me. Shaking my head I let out a small laugh and continued to walk away.

——————

"Hey Merle, how you doing?" I asked as I sat down next to Merle who was sharpening a stick into an arrow, I'm assuming for Daryl.

"I'm fine, he's a fighter, he'll be fine too." He said quietly not taking his eyes off his arrow.

"You know, before Daryl left for his hunting trip we sat right here and I told him to leave me alone." I told him trying to keep the tears away.