CHAPTER 42

"Alix," he snaps, trying to get my full attention, stopping me by the elevator. I just stare at him. Who is he? Why did this come out the way it did.

"Joe-this a joke right...tell me this is a joke, that you had to prove something cause they were degrading you" I try to stay calm, but my body is shaking, placing my hands together as I'm praying this is a joke.

"Alix, please," he begs and grabs my arm. He seems lost and doesn't know what to do.

"No, Joe," I snap and snatch my arm away and step to the elevator doors and press the down button and quickly turn to Joe furiously.

"Did you see yourself, Joe, did you? So now what, let me guess you're sorry, and you fucking forgot to mention who you really." I laugh out loud and throw my hands in the air.

"Joe, you've got to be kidding me," 

"Alix, can we please talk about this" he tries to calm me down by whispering.

"Joe, you made me look like such an asshole back there," I snap as he tries to come close to me. He knows damn well I get weak when he does.

"Don't do this, Joe...don't' do this here. I guess the joke is on me?"

He's standing there, not saying a word. He knows that I would throw, scream, and slap him. The elevator rings and the doors open. I quickly step in and turn to him as he's looking at me heartbroken, and the elevator door closes. I start to ball into tears and cup my face. What just happened? I notice the elevator hasn't moved. I look up at the numbers and realize I didn't press the lobby button. I touch it. I just stare at the numbers. 

Joe has been lying to me this whole time. All the gifts he bought me. It wasn't a raise; he's a billionaire, he just picked out what to buy me and sent it with those men in suits. God, who else heard Joe telling them who he really is? The elevator reaches the lobby.

I step out clueless about where I'm going. I came with Joe, and now I'm leaving without him. I stop short and look around and try and find the exit.

I can't get over how many times I've asked him about his life and profession, which had him travel the way it did. 

And Crystal...She's probably used to that lifestyle, and she's hanging on to him as much as she can. She knows who he really is. I guess I wasn't that important to matter who he was or what he does for a living. I manage to find the exit of the hotel.

The tall slim valet guy who looks like he's in his 20's, saw me walk in with Joe. He has to remember. So now what? I can't ask for Joe's car to take home. Shit, the Phantom isn't a rental, after all. It's Joes' personal car. Huh, the story gets better. I shake my head. This is hysterical; you can't make this shit up.

I try to figure out what to do. I look into the glass doors of the entrance. Joe's standing there lost. I walk away from the doors. I don't want to see him, so I quickly walk away from the entrance as fast as possible.

"Alix, let me explain," he speaks up louder, trying to get my attention, walking towards me. I stop short and swing my body around, PIST! 

"What do you want to explain that you forgot to mention a small detail of who you are."

"Joe, you embarrassed me in front of my fucking boss."

"Alix, you need to stop cursing; it doesn't suit you." he snaps.

"OMg your hysterical, you're standing here telling me not to fucking curse as you lead me to believe you were-" I snap with my hands in the air but couldn't finish as he cut me off-