Chapter One: Hiding In Hufflepuff

"A little O.W.L. told me that a certain Hufflepuff is planning to ask you to tomorrow's dance," Hannah Abbott giggles to me as we are eating our breakfast.

"Excuse me?" I ask her in between bites of biscuits.

"Oh, don't act like you didn't know! Everyone can see the way Cedric looks at you. You guys are so fond of each other these days. I suppose it is only time that it became official," she replies with a wistful look in her eye.

I almost choke on the biscuit in my throat. After a violent coughing spell, and a few firm pats on the back from Abbott, I finally recover.

"There is nothing going on between Diggory and I," I state coldly, wiping my mouth with a napkin before sitting it down on my plate.

"I guess we'll see then," she sighs before smirking up to me, "At tomorrow's dance."

"You're unbelievable," I groan before pushing myself back from my seat and quickly walking out of the dining room doors, bypassing many cloaked witches and wizards as I do so.

Surely she's simply joking. She has to be. Cedric really wouldn't think to-

"Hello, (Y/n)!" I hear Harry greet from behind me.

I inwardly roll my eyes at the sound of his screeching voice before plastering a smile onto my face. When I turn around I'm greeted with not only Harry, but Hermione and Ron as well. Each of them have the same cheeky grins on their faces.

Oh great, the golden trio.

"Hello," I reply, my gaze switching between the three wizards standing in front of me.

"Do you want to walk with us to our Herbology lesson again today?" Hermione asks, smiling widely at me.

Not today I don't. I have absolutely no interest in walking with you three anywhere. Let alone in public. I would rather be killed by Voldemort himself than to walk with you.

But I can't say no, not without sounding suspicious.

"Yes, I wou-"

"Sorry guys, she's walking with me," Cedric Diggory interrupts, snaking an arm around my waist.

Gag me with Snape's wand.

"Oh, alright then. See you in class, (Y/n)," Harry says with a halfhearted smile before turning to walk towards our lesson, Hermione and Ron in tow.

And just like that I'm left standing in the bustling corridor with Cedric Diggory, clinging to me as he always does.

It's always been like this. For as long as I can remember I've been surrounded by these wizards and witches. Even though they're the last people on this earth that I want to surround myself with.

It's not that I hate them or find them to be terrible people, because I don't and they aren't. In fact, certain times I even find their presence somewhat comforting. It's just that some days when I'm wanting more than ever to retreat back to my instincts, like today, I would rather not be around them.

Especially Cedric Diggory.

Cedric and I have been unofficially betrothed since we were born. Ever since then my 'grandmother', the head of the Hufflepuff house herself, has ensured that Diggory and I are attached at the hip at all times.

And, unlike me, Cedric absolutely loves it.

I have nothing personal against him. I honestly think he is charming and can be quite funny. Plus, it's no secret that he is rather attractive. There are simply specific moments when he becomes a little too affectionate. Like right now, as he has his arm draped around my waist while leading me to our lesson.