Chapter Seven: Real Pain

December 25, 1986

"Mother, are you sure this is a good idea? We don't have to celebrate my birthday this year if you aren't feeling well," I tell my mother, watching her get ready from the doorway of her room.

Grandmother Pomona brought me to visit my parents, well my mother, for my birthday. Which is today. Which of course also happens to fall on the biggest holiday of the year. I did want to spend time with my mother, but being here only reminded me that I couldn't stay.

"Nonsense! It's bad enough that your father couldn't make it, I'm not going to let you down too," she says, kneeling down in front of me and taking my hands in her own. "After all, you only turn six once," she adds, placing a kiss to my little nose.

I nod and wrap my arms tightly around her neck, not wanting her to see the tears threatening to spill from my eyes. We stay like that for a few minutes, soaking up one of our rare moments of privacy. I only see her once a year, hardly enough time to spend with your parents.

It's even worse that I can't tell anyone about our visits.

Not even Cedric, the funny boy my grandmother arranges play dates with all the time. I really like Cedric, he's nice to me. He draws with me and always gives me little cakes whenever I see him. Grandmother constantly talks about our wedding, I don't think she knows what she's talking about. I really want to tell him about getting to see my parents, I honestly think I can trust him.

Grandmother Pomona refuses to let me though. She said that telling people isn't safe, that it could get me into some trouble. For some reason, I think she's right. So I keep my mouth shut and never dare to tell a soul about my secret encounters.

"Mother, I miss Father," I tell her, pulling away from her warm embrace.

She lets out a sigh as she fixes my little dress. "I know dear, he would be here if he could. You know he misses you too. Father has just been busy with his work lately. Sometimes he just can't get a day off," she explains, smoothing down my hair. "But don't you worry, I'll make sure to take lots of pictures of you opening your presents to show him later."

A smile makes it way to my lips as Mother stands up from the ground, "Okay, as long as he sees them."

She smiles back down to me as she takes my hand, leading me down the steep staircase into the living room. I can't help but think that she's hiding something as her eyes nervously dart to the front door. Once we enter the living room she lets go of my hand, allowing me to run to the vast amount of presents that are surrounding the tall tree. Every single one of them was for me.

"Okay, open that one first! Remember, let me take a picture of you once you open it," Mother says lovingly, holding her Polaroid camera out in front of her.

I nod in agreement and begin tearing open the wrapping paper. I do as I was told: open a present, turn to Mother, smile. It felt like hours had passed of me opening presents, though I had barely even made a dent in the pile, when there was a loud noise coming from the door. I jump at the sudden and abrupt sound.

"Open this door! I know you're in there!" My father's voice calls out angrily through the thick mahogany wood.

My eyes snap up to my mother, whose chest is rising and falling faster than I've ever seen it before. She looks down at me, worry tracing every feature in her petite, delicate face. She grabs me tightly by the arm and drags me towards one of the cupboards lining the wall.

"Mother, why won't you let Father in? What's wrong?" I ask, tears already falling down my little cheeks as she lifts me up into the cabinet.