26 - We Meet the In-Laws

"Where've you been," Jack demanded without a second to waste. "Why didn't you—why did you just let all that happen, how did you—"

"Brother," I repeated under my breath. "Oh, that...okay. That makes sense. God, Darla would know more about this..." I winced and rubbed my forehead. Just lifting my arm took too much out of me; I remembered with haste that I'd almost gotten my soul stolen today. The circle on my chest still stung, though the pain was beginning to ebb away. Jack's hand found mine and we intertwined our fingers by second nature.

I lifted my head to at least grant some respect to this Belobog, whatever kind of intentions they had.

"The entrance is still blocked, isn't it?"

"If you are referring to the mess behind you, then yes."

"Can you let us out?"

"Certainly."

There were a few tumbling noises and metallic screeching behind me—the same sort of sound I'd heard when my shield spell came undone. They weren't just clearing a path through more destruction; they were reversing whatever twisted thing Chernobog had done to the surrounding walls to seal us in...

Chernobog. Dark god. A couple questions during the Halloween party with Darla had revealed his name's true meaning.

Was I talking to the light god?

"Answer me," Jack said desperately. He sounded more confused than angry, grappling for any kind of truth he could hold onto. "Y-you said I was your child, you said something about...why? That can't be it. That can't be true, that would mean that he was just—"

"Lying."

Belobog sounded somber. Ashamed, even. Ashamed of their bitter, out-of-control other half. I could feel Jack's disappointment, his boiling resentment and hatred towards his boss from where he stood. I wanted to reach out and comfort him, but something was stopping me.

"The demon was able to claim you before we could. After you died, you, Jack Gordon, were to join us; the more merciful lot, you could say."

They said it so plainly that it didn't come off as smug or prideful. It was simply a fact to them. I wasn't about to argue, but I had a feeling Jack was.

"But how could he—why?! I'm not some amazing soldier, or an angel, or a prophet, or whatever dumb shit he believed. I-I'm not special. I died. That was it. I'm just me. You...you can't be serious..." He gulped audibly, like he was about to be sick. Belobog remained patient; I realized with a heavy heart that I'd never witnessed this before. A being like them, patient with Jack.

"You died as an unrightful sacrifice to a dark god."

"I—well, yeah! What about that makes—"

"Jennifer Smith was mistaken in choosing you. As a follower of Chernobog, her soul is likely being either tortured or cast into nothingness as we speak. You, however, were never affiliated with such evil. Our brother had no just claim to you; you belonged someplace better than...this," Belobog said, trying unreasonably hard not to sound disgusted with their surroundings.

So that's it. It's either Heaven or Hell when you die, light or dark. Something sank in my stomach, and though it was a stupid question, I could help but think of it. Where am I going to end up?

"Why didn't you do anything?" Jack asked, his voice trembling slightly.

"You greatly overestimate our power compared to that demon's, Jack. There was nothing that could be done. And there was no use dwelling in affairs that had already come to pass—though, we admit, we became selfish at times." A small trace of playfulness crept into their tone. "We meddled when we could afford to. Making sure you were never led too far into the darkness, healing you as best we could when they had not such a...severe hold on you."