Early Exasperations

THREE: Early Exasperations

Hiccup woke happy with an armful of Astrid Hofferson. Warm, soft and drooling slightly on him, Astrid was perfect-even when her hair went crazy overnight and she managed to push him unconsciously to the very edge of the bed. He glanced over to the window, seeing the cloudless blue sky through the gap between the curtains and hearing the faint sounds of the sea. He gave a sigh of contentment as Astrid stirred and her blue eyes fluttered open.

"Morning, Babe," she murmured and stretched up to kiss him.

"Morning, Milady," he smiled. "Did you sleep well?" She sat up, swiping her wild hair off her face and she stretched.

"Fantastically," she told him. "You are the best pillow ever."

"I thank you," he said, slowly sitting up. Automatically, he reached over the side of the bed and fond his prosthetic leg, pulling it on with practised ease. It was a part of him, just like not having a Mom, both results of a drunken truck driver who hadn't seen the red light or the car until it was too late. Life had changed that day-but after he had recovered from the surgery and was working through the grieving process with his father, he had decided not to waste any more time. So he had taken a chance and had worked on his friendship with Astrid. And when he had finally plucked up the courage to ask her out, her only response had been: 'What took you so long?'

Astrid was up quicker than he was, dashing into the bathroom before he could and he smiled. Her competitive edge would never permit her to come second in anything and he loved her for it. He wasn't competitive-well, not really. The one time he had gone all out in a competition at school, he hadn't liked who he had become and he never wanted to revisit that person. So he waited until she emerged from a fast shower with clean teeth and braided hair, wrapped in a towel. Smiling, he had gone in for a quick shower as well and then emerged, ready for the day. There was no disguising his prosthetic, of course, but he was used to the looks. There was nothing he could do about it anyway so anyone's problem with it was their problem. Astrid had put on her pale blue bikini under her white vest top and cropped denim shorts while Hiccup had knee length shorts over his swimming shorts and a loose pale green shirt. Astrid's large blue beach bag contained her purse, phone, a book, the sun cream and her fold-up straw hat while Hiccup's bush hat was jammed on his head and he had his shades on. Phone, wallet and ear buds were buttoned into his pockets as they checked the room and headed down to breakfast.

The previous night had been filled with laughter and catching up as they had gone out with the others-except Snotlout who had tried to get into the double room, stormed down to reception, been told of the situation and finally gone to the bar. And Hiccup had enjoyed the beers and meal with his friends in the little bar round the corner from the hotel. He and Astrid had shared a giant paella while the others had had fish, chips, hot dogs and burgers. It had been a wonderful and unexpected pleasure and seeing Astrid smiling and laughing had lifted his heart. So walking down with her to breakfast, her hand twined with his, had caused his heart to soar.

For about five seconds until Snotlout intercepted them. Astrid had screeched to a halt as well and glared at the stocky man, her fists balled as Snotlout had stared at them.

"I know what you did," he said evenly as Hiccup had steeled himself for another argument. Then Snotlout stuck his hand out. "And honestly, it was brilliant."

"All we did was regain what was already ours," Astrid told him firmly.

"Can't blame a guy for trying," he shrugged. "Friends?" Hiccup stared at him for a moment and fought a brief war within himself. He didn't trust Snotlout and his cousin had treated him badly for years-but here was Astrid who believed he was better than he instinctively wanted to be. And he had to be the better man. They were far from home and reluctantly, he grasped Snotlout's hand and shook it.