Final Flourish

ELEVEN: Final Flourish

"This is ridiculous," Astrid growled, staring at the handleless door. "How could that muttonhead manage to trap us in this room?"

"I told you he shows flashes intelligence at the most annoying moments," Hiccup sighed, banging his fists against the wood. There was no movement and he bowed forward in exasperation as Astrid walked to the telephone by the bed and dialled Reception.

"Hello? This is room 814. Our door lock is broken and we're trapped in our room. Could you send up a maintenance man please?" She paused. "HOW LONG?"

Hiccup glanced over at her and she sighed. "How long?" he mouthed.

"Three hours," she replied and he stared.

"We'll miss our last night," he murmured and walked to her side.

"Please-can't you do anything sooner?" Astrid begged and then she sagged and nodded. "Thank you anyway." She hung up and he guessed the answer, wrapping his arms around her body to comfort her.

"At least we're together," he murmured but she closed her eyes.

"He's managed to ruin your meal plans both nights," she whispered and then she looked up. "He's ruined our holiday and almost broke us apart. So no-he isn't winning this! Get ready!" she ordered him. "He is NOT ruining our last night." She reached for her phone and began to type furiously. "Our friends have not helped us much this holiday-so they can make up for it now. Hiccupella-you will go to the restaurant!" He started laughing.

"Thor-Hiccupella-is that even a thing?" he chuckled and then fashioned a small bow. "As Milady Godmother Astrid commands," he added.

"You know, I don't mind being a Fairy Godmother," she admitted. "Though they always get really over-the-top sparkly outfits..."

"You know, when you think of Godmother, you think sparkly but if you say Godfather, you instantly think sinister man in a suit with a horse's head in your bed..."

"Which is really unhygienic!" Astrid commented. "Your point?"

"This is the Twenty-First Century," he pointed out. "Why shouldn't you have a Fairy Godfather?" She stared at him and burst out laughing.

"Oh my Thor," she giggled. "Can you imagine Cinderella's Fairy Godmother appearing and up poofs Marlon Brandon in a tiara making her an offer she couldn't refuse!" He started laughing as well.

"Well, that would definitely be the adult version!" he chuckled. "So what have you got in mind?" She grabbed her phone as it beeped and smiled.

"Get ready-because we are getting out of here," she told him.

So they changed and got ready to go out. Hiccup chose his beige chinos and a white short-sleeved shirt with Astrid's gift around his neck and his sensible leather shoes on. Astrid wore her new purchase, a white spaghetti-strapped above knee dress with tiny blue flowers embroidered around the hem, her sparkly sandals and Hiccup's beads around her neck. Then there was a knock on the door.

"Hiccup? Astrid?" Fishlegs's voice came through the door. "Are you in there?"

"Surprisingly, yes," Hiccup said sarcastically. "Still trapped."

"Stand back!" came Dagur's voice. "We'll have you out..." Hiccup was opening his mouth to protest that he didn't want to have to pay to replace the door when there was a huge thud. He heard Dagur curse and Fishlegs groan. Another four impacts shuddered the door but it remained firm.

"Typical," Astrid huffed, folding her arms. "We would have to have the sturdiest door on the Costa Del Dragon!"

"So I guess we're remaining trapped," Hiccup said ironically.