Downhill Spiral

SIX: Downhill Spiral

When Hiccup had come back, he had found Astrid gone-not that he expected her to wait after an argument. The room was a mess and he automatically tidied up, as he did back in their bedroom back in their one-bedroom apartment in Dragon's Edge, a mile or so from the University Campus and just round the corner from their jobs in the Coffee Shop and Grill respectively. He sighed, grabbing their swimming costumes and washing them through, then putting them on the balcony to dry for the morning. Checking the place was neat, he cast around but Astrid hadn't left him any clue where they were going-and his pride wouldn't allow him to text her to ask where they were. He knew from the walk they had on the first evening that were a couple of dozen bars and restaurants along the front in easy walking distance and he couldn't bring himself to just go hunting for them.

He wandered out the front of the hotel and found a small restaurant, eating fish in seafood broth with saffron rice and having a glass of wine and a coffee before heading back and listening to the band by the pool. Quietly, he stared across the bay, the lights of fishing boats and a few pleasure boats bobbing on the waves. The beach was lit with a long string of lights hanging between the palm trees and the orange lamps illuminated the sidewalk and the front. Finally, he rose and walked to the elevator, heading back to his room. His phone remained silent and he felt the failure of anyone to call him like a blow. Sometime after going to bed and starting to read his e-book, he fell asleep.

He awoke with Astrid curled up on the other side of the bed, turned away from him and asleep. The sun was up and he felt hopeful that the day would go better. He sat up and carefully strapped on his leg, then rose to freshen up. Feeling even more optimistic and relaxed, he emerged to find Astrid blinking sleepily at him.

"What time is it?" she asked muzzily as she stretched. He smiled.

"It's eight, Milady," he said cheerfully. "How are you feeling?" Her eyes snapped open.

"Eight?" she gasped and sat up. "Thor-the boat is going at nine!"

"What boat?" he asked, feeling left out again. She stretched and then scrambled out of bed.

"I was going to tell you last night-but you were asleep when I got back," she explained. "We've booked to go on a boat for a snorkelling and swimming trip with a picnic. It leaves at nine and we should get back around six."

"We?" he asked, knowing what the answer would be. She stopped from where she was searching through her drawer.

"The others," she explained. "We've booked a boat. We've booked you on as well..." And then she looked up and her face fell. "Please-I want you to come. I know you love swimming and this should be much easier. I asked if the boat was suitable for someone with one leg and I was told it was fine. That they had checked." And then she sighed. "You don't want to come, do you?"

He looked at her and for a second, all his anger and hurt swirled around-but today was a new day and he did want to spend time with the girl he loved. And if it meant spending time with the others, he would put up with it-because he hoped that Fish and Heather, at least would be fun to spend time with. And he wanted to get to know Dagur's fiancee Mala as well. It was just Snotlout and the twins who he really didn't want to see in a hurry.

"Actually, I do," he said, walking to her side and sweeping her in his arms and kissing her. "I want to spend time with you-even if it means putting up with people who haven't been decent to me." Her eyes brightened and she kissed him back.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "And I do love you." He nuzzled against her.

"I know," he whispered as he let her go. "Now you need to do your morning primping and preening while I get out costumes off the balcony." She grinned and dashed for the bathroom as he sorted out towels, pulled on his swimming shorts and a spare pair for afterwards, a white tee shirt and his sunblock. Then he fished out his messenger bag and stuffed his things in, checked his phone was charged and then sat waiting as Astrid showered and then changed, emerging in a knee length sun dress over her baby blue bikini, blue flip flops and her hair braided over her left shoulder. She smiled as she checked her bag.