Pranking Payback

TEN: Pranking Payback

"Where's Astrid?" Snotlout demanded as he and the twins headed onto the beach. "I don't see my Babe anywhere." Ruff and Tuff shared a look. They hadn't been paying so much attention before but they were now and both had picked up this fourth reference to Astrid being 'his' on this short walk.

"You know she already has a boyfriend," Ruff pointed out.

"But for how much longer?" he asked snidely. "I mean Princess Hopalong has been sulking all holiday and he will have to concede that I am far the more awesome specimen and deserve to have Astrid."

"I don't think people change who they love just because some short muttonhead thinks they deserve them," Tuff commented. "I believe relationships are based on mutual attraction, a meshing of personalities and shared interests and values."

"Busted," Ruff chuckled. "No mutual attraction, she hates you and you have no shared values."

"We have the same interests-and I'm sure she can learn to love the Snot," he said arrogantly.

"Like Mindy did?" Tuff sniggered. Snotlout halted in his tracks, his brows furrowing in fury.

"How did you...?" he snapped and then he bunched his fists. "Hiccup-that scrawny one-legged loser! I'll fix him..."

"I think you've been trying to do that ever since you arrived," Throk commented from behind them. Snotlout scowled.

"Where is Hiccup?" he demanded.

"No one knows," Ruff admitted.

"He's been sulking and hiding since last night," Tuff added. "Look, you know Astrid loves the sun. She'll be down on the beach soon enough. So all you have to do is have your beautiful bronzed body waiting for her to fall in lust with." Snotlout paused-and then nodded.

"Okay," he said. "I get that. As soon as she claps eyes on my masculine awesomeness, she will forget Useless forever and become mine!" He gestured to the rapidly filling sands. "Get ready, ladies-the Snot is on the beach!"

oOo

Once they have given statements-supported by Eret and the other Bar owners along the front-Hiccup, Astrid, Heather and Dagur all headed for Eret's bar, where the congenial bartender had laid on a rather nice bottle of wine or two, chilled sparkling water and a generous selection of warm tapas. The Bazerkir siblings had chatted and Dagur had texted Mala and Fishlegs so the other two had joined them and they had all had a serious chat with Hiccup and Astrid.

But in truth, it hadn't been necessary, for the couple had been talking nonstop through it all. Their serious expressions and low voices showed that they were finally communicating. And though there were pauses, thoughtful expressions and some tears, their friends guessed they would be okay, especially when Astrid tentatively gave Hiccup the gift she had bought him just before she was attacked-a simple necklace with three beads of red, green and black-on a plain brown leather cord which he had put on immediately with a wide smile.

"Thank you, Milady," he murmured and kissed her.

"Awww," Fishlegs squeaked as they both looked up with a shy smile.

"So have you resolved your differences?" Mala asked carefully, her hand twined with Dagur's. Hiccup looked up and nodded.

"I think so," he said seriously, looking over at Astrid. Her eyes were red and there was a bruise on her cheek where she had been punched but she was looking happier, her hand grasping his tightly.

"It was my fault," Astrid admitted honestly.

"But I overreacted and didn't communicate," Hiccup added with a sigh. "I just got more and more angry and hurt."