Part 4

Jasper wondered if he made a mistake.

Sure, Zelda was probably using him and now her and her brothers were off exploring the scared forest with manic greed... but what if she wasn't? She hadn't tried to steer the conversation over to the sacred forest, she didn't drop any hints of wanting to know. They spent the night talking, and Zelda was a wonderful conversationalist. Jasper could've listened to her for hours. He wished he didn't stop the date prematurely.

These were his thoughts for the majority of the morning, well into lunch time. He sat at his table, staring out the window, his head leaning against his hands. He sighed.

"You seem wistful, sir," said his servant, Arlen, as he placed down a plate of food in front of him. "I thought you had fun last night."

"I did, Arlen, I did. I was just wondering if it could've ended differently."

"It's not like you to regret your actions. Was she really that special?"

Jasper shrugged. He picked up his fork. "Maybe. She really left an impression on me. Maybe it was her scars, or those eyes... also, she's so experienced. She was telling me of this creature that lives in the Gerudo desert. It swims in the sand, sensing vibrations and-"

They were interrupted by loud echoing banging coming from front door.

"Oh dear," said Arlen, stepping away. "Pardon me, sir. It's probably those darn kids again. I'll be right back."

Arlen walked off and Jasper started in on his lunch. He barely brought his forkful of sautéed eggplant up to his mouth when suddenly he heard Arlen yelling.

"You can't just barge in here! You're not invited!"

Jasper was startled to see all of Zelda's brothers forcing their way into the dining room. Unlike last night where they were dressed casual with loose shirts and standard trousers, today they were in full armor with swords on their back. Their heavy leather boots struck the ground with every step like they were an army on their way to a battle. Arlen was still yelling at them to leave, but he was ignored.

The one leading the charge had a facial tattoo. There was a cold deadliness in his expression and he had eyes like an animal. Jasper suddenly felt like an insect stuck in a web as a wolf spider slowly descended upon him. He lowered his fork, swallowing. There was no place to hide and he was sure if he tried, he would get a sword in his back for good measure.

Zelda was not with them.

The brothers stopped at the table, wordlessly staring down at him. The silence stretched, and Jasper was sure they could hear his heart pounding fiercely in his chest.

"My sister," said Facial Tattoo finally. "Where is she?"

Jasper blinked in confusion. "How should I know?"

That was the wrong thing to say. With a snarl, the brother reached over, grabbed Jasper by the hem of his shirt, and hauled him out of his chair, knocking over the plate of eggplant. The brother held Jasper up high like he weighed nothing.

"Don't fuck with me right now," the brother growled, giving Jasper a harsh shake. "Is she here?"

Jasper gasped. "No! We parted the night before!"

"I saw you leave with her!"

"I left after I gave her the location to the scared forest! She probably went there by herself!"

The brother dropped him. Jasper crumpled to the floor, gasping.

"She wouldn't go alone," said the brother. "She didn't come back last night. And if she's not with you, then where the hell is she?"

"I don't know!" Jasper said. "When I left her, it was at the well in the middle of town-"

"Wait," said the one-eye freak. "Did you say, well?"