Untitled Part 6

Sky slumped against the wall, a hand on his chest, grabbing at his heart. He gasped and doubled over, sweat running down his forehead.

"Wait guys!" Hyrule called out to the others. "Something's wrong!"

The group stopped. The sewer tunnels could only occupy two people side by side, and those in the back could not see what was happening. They raised their torches to give Hyrule more light as he squatted down next to Sky.

"You should've told us you were claustrophobic," said Hyrule.

"I'm not," said Sky. "It's not me... it's her."

He patted his back to where the Master Sword sat.

Hyrule frowned. "... the sword is claustrophobic?"

"What? No! She hates this place. She doesn't want to be here."

"I can't blame her," said Time. "Down here is where the royal family and Sheikah buried their secrets. This place holds more blood than we're capable of imagining."

Sky shook his head. "It's something else. She's... she's mourning."

Twilight stiffened. "Is Wild dead?"

"We would have felt it," Legend said. "And we're not easily killed. Sky, can you walk?"

Sky took several deep breaths and nodded. It took him another few seconds to find strength, and with a pained groaned, straightened up. "I'm fine," he said. "We're fine."

***

Twilight considered shifting in front of the others.

He promised himself he would never reveal the wolf to the others. It was out of respect for Midna, and out of fear of corruption of magic. There were some secrets that should never be revealed, even to those closest to him. But here in these endless tunnels, it was hard to tell where which tunnel began and which one ended. He wanted to shift so he could scent track.

A hand was placed on his shoulder. "Calm," Time said to him. "You're going to worry yourself to death."

Twilight rubbed a hand over his face. "The Sword is not the only one responding to this place. You noticed it too, I bet. We can all feel it. It's like a pillow over my face, suffocating me. There's more to this place than just blood and death."

They've only been down here for about an hour and it felt like something was squeezing his heart. He couldn't imagine what it must be for Wild, who'd been down here for over twelve hours.

Time nodded. "Not even the Shadow Temple felt this... smothering. It could be the souls of the damned, or it could be black magic."

"I'm scared," Twilight admitted suddenly. "Not only for Wild, but for myself. We need to get out of here as soon as-."

"Twilight...?"

At the small voice, the two ceased their chatter. Twilight held the torch up higher, his eyes narrowing down the long length of the tunnels. There was a sound of gentle splashing, and coming out from the darkness was Wild.

He looked like hell. He was covered head to toe in grime, blood thick in his hair, clumping it together like glue. His once beautiful Gerudo outfit was now torn in several areas, mud staining the green coloring into an ugly brown. He was also limping badly. A makeshift bandage made out of his sleeve wrapped around his naked, blood-soaked foot.

"Wow," said Wild quietly. "You all look like how I feel."

"Fucking-a, kid," Twilight said. He shoved the torch into Warrior's hands and rushed forward. He grabbed Wild's arm and put it over his shoulders to help him take the weight off the foot. "What the hell happened down here?"

"Oh, some demonic monster who thinks I'm the princess has fallen in love with me. It's a tale as old as time."

"What?"

"Please tell me someone here brought a potion."

"I have," said Legend. He pulled out a bottle. "What's wrong with your foot?"

"Stepped on a nail."

"It's still in there?"

"Yeah," Wild said.

"Then we need to pull it out before you take the potion. Otherwise the flesh will hardened around it and make it worse."

"...Please tell me you're lying."

"It's true," said Time. He came to stand on Wild's other side and took hold of his arm. "It happened to me."

Legend held up Wild's foot, taking the blood-soaked wrapping off of it, tossing it aside. He grimaced at the sight of the nail. "Hold onto Wild, he's going to struggle."

"Oh hell," Wild murmured as Twilight and Time tightened their grip.

Legend took hold of the nail between finger and thumb. "I'm going to pull on three. One-!"

He pulled.

Wild's scream echoed off of the walls. Twilight and Time held strong, keeping him from jerking backwards. Legend tossed aside the nail, and quickly poured the potion on the foot.

"Fuck," Wild said. Tears streamed down his face. "I didn't feel it go in, but I definitely felt it coming out."

Legend wrapped the foot with fresh bandages. "The worst is over now. Keep off of it to let it heal."

Suddenly, as if Wild chose to yell again, the echo of his scream came rushing back, vibrating off of the walls. His pain-filled cry got louder and louder as it got closer, forcing the heroes to clap their hands over their ears. Like a flock of birds flying away from a predator, the scream rushed over them, kicking up their hair. It only lasted for a quick second before the echo flew past and back down the darken tunnels.

"What the hell...?" Swords said as he lowered his hands. "Noise doesn't carry like that. What was-?"

More than three dozens pitch white hands suddenly burst forth from the ground and walls. The hands grabbed at the heroes, and in the resulting chaos, they dropped their torches in the water, plunging them into darkness.

"UGH! AH! FUCKER-! GET OFF-!"

"Someone get a light!"

"IS THIS ALL YOU GOT? C'MON!"

"There's too many of them-!"

"AH! Bastard! I'll show you!"

"I got a light! Give me a second..."

Wind held up a fire arrow, illuminating the entire tunnel. The hands were gone, leaving behind upturned stones, broken walls, and scratches on the ceiling. The heroes themselves were left worse for wear. Warriors had three deep bleeding scratches across his face, forcing his left eye closed. Swords entire backside looked like someone had whipped him for hours. Sky was off to the side, bent over and quietly vomiting.

"Where's Wild?" Twilight demanded. His entire right arm was a bloody mess. He didn't seem to care as he turned around, searching for his protégé. "Where is he?"