Sophrosyne

Camila's POV

Sophrosyne (n.): a healthy state of mind, characterized by self-control, moderation, and a deep awareness of one's true self, and resulting in true happiness. 

The room was almost pitch dark if not for the little light coming from the floor lamp next to my bed. Even though I was in sullen spirits these days, I didn't relish the darkness. 

"What are you doing here in the dark?" The girl walked into the room, leaving the door open, partially illuminating it. She closed the distance between us and kissed my forehead. "Are you working on some kind of a new gothic project?" She asked, using a slightly sarcastic tone. 

"Just thinking," I replied, offering her a smile and squeezing lightly her hand. 

"About what?" She asked, throwing her body on the bed, landing right on top of my feet. 

Lauren, the voice inside my head echoed. 

"Nothing special," I said, trying to push her back to free my ankles. 

"You already have too much going on in your mind. Imagine now, that you've literally stopped to think about something. I'm sure we're gonna have another genius project coming out of your brain in a week," She said, stretching her body lazily on the mattress. 

A genius project, that perfectly defined Lauren Jauregui. And maybe she was, indeed. Was it wrong to call her that? I just wanted to help her be who she wanted to be. 

"This might be my most brilliant project," I replied, allowing the words to come out of my mouth without forethought, as if they were more of an inner reflection than an answer. 

"Are you really thinking about a new project?" She turned to the side, facing me. 

"Not exactly," I said, taking the glasses off my face. 

"I hate it when you give me short answers," The girl huffed and rolled her eyes. 

I chuckled and moved closer, laying my head on the curve of her waist. 

"You ask too much," I said, holding her hand tenderly.

"And you say too little, Camila Cabello," She refuted and placed her hand on my head, stroking my hair. 

"I say enough, Sofia Cabello," I said, keeping the conversation flowing. Sofia laughed. 

I wasn't used to being this evasive on a subject with my sister, but right now I didn't know how to start one nor what to say. 

"Fine! But seriously, what's wrong?" She asked in a serious tone. "It's been two days..."

"What?" I asked, curious to know what kind of impression my inner mess left on people. 

"I don't know..." She started thoughtfully. She laid on her back, making my head fall down to her stomach. "You're weird, distant. It's like you have your head in the clouds. I mean, you always do, but lately, your head's in Jupiter."

I chuckled and pinched her hip playfully. 

"Nothing's wrong, I'm just more tired than usual," I said, coming up with the easiest excuse I could to change the subject. "But enough about me. How's school?"

"Oh, the same old, you know—the same old people, the same old classes, the same old routine. I can't stand it any longer. I don't know how you loved school," My sister sighed, raising her head momentarily so she could loosen her hair. 

"I liked to study, that's different. School was meaningless to me," I retorted, stretching my legs to relieve the cramps on my feet after staying in the same position for too long.