-chapter ten

CHAPTER TEN - HUNTING ACCIDENTS

2x01 - "What Lies Ahead" & 2x02 - "Bloodletting"

What's one last act of kindness?

-

-

THE NEXT morning, Marlee was watching Jack finish the remaining pieces of a protein bar for breakfast, which he certainly wasn't happy about. She glanced up after noticing the others gathering around Rick. She led Jack towards everyone and joined them, watching as Rick laid out a belt full of hatchets, knives, and other melee weapons on the hood of a truck. "Everybody takes a weapon," he announced.

Andrea was less than pleased with this news and had been for a while. She was upset with the fact she wasn't able to have a gun, and was even more so now that she knew everyone else couldn't have one either. "These aren't the kind of weapons we need. What about the guns?" She grumbled.

Shane nodded slightly, replying, "We've been over that. Daryl, Rick, and I are carrying. We can't have people popping off rounds every time a tree rustles."

Marlee inspected the many weapons available, but was happy with the hatchet she already had. Elijah grabbed a knife for himself and pulled Jack away after he noticed the younger sibling reaching for a similar weapon, too. "Not for you, bud," he whispered.

Andrea still wore a displeased scowl as she responded to Shane's comment, "It's not the trees I'm worried about."

Shane explained more thoroughly, "Say somebody fires at the wrong moment, a herd happens to be passing by. See, then it's game over for all of us. So you need to get over it."

Clyde glanced up from where he and Callum sat nearby. They had holed up in the RV the night before, but neither of them slept that well. Some of the group had welcomed the boys with open arms, and some not so much. Shane was part of the group that still gave them skeptical glares, and that only made Clyde dislike the man more.

Callum noticed how the blond was wanting to say something, and before he could convince him not to, Clyde was already replying, "You guys with guns could shoot at the wrong moment too," he shrugged as Shane threw him a glance. "Just 'cause you're skilled doesn't mean you can't fire at the wrong time. You won't know when a herd's passing by. None of us will." Andrea agreed with this narrative, but it seemed to end there as Daryl interrupted the quietness.

He began, "The idea is to take the creek up about five miles, turn around and come back down the other side. Chances are she'll be by the creek. It's her only landmark."