9

Present Day

"You're friend... Mr Hood," the doctor stopped me, looking down at his notes. I sighed impatiently but didn't say anything about him being rude. "You said he had a single cut down his front?"

"Good, your hearing is fantastic," I said sarcastically, irritated I had to stop my story. I was on a roll, ready to get the ending over with already. The doctor was finally starting to look fed up with me, but he composed himself and smiled fake and painfully at me.

"Reina, Calum had no such cut on his body when we found it," the doctor said slowly, looking at me. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms as best as I could. "He did have a cut, but that was on his head. The file says it was due to falling on the floor and hitting his forehead."

"I saw his cut, doctor," I insisted, slamming my fists on the table. The security guard that was standing in the corner twitched, watching me for any other signs of violence. I took a deep breath and unclenched my hands. "I saw it. Michael saw it, too."

"I know he did, but the medical records don't and you have no proof," he said as gently as he could. I narrowed my eyes at him and he hastily shuffled his papers together. "Go on, Reina."

++++++++

Three Days Before, 11:57pm

"Look, I just don't think we should go down," I insisted. Both of us were crowded around a wooden trap door, opened to reveal a staircase leading down. I didn't like the idea of going down there, not after all we've been through.

It had been hours since we escaped from Calum. I knew he was still out there, I felt his presence and his eyes staring straight through the door at us. We were in a room identical to the one we had found Calum in, except there was no bed and a bunch of newspaper littered the floor. I felt less uneasy in this room, which was odd because I should've been terrified.

"Reina, what's the worst that could happen?" Michael demanded warily. I shrugged, knowing he had a point. We had seen things that no person should these past few days. I felt like we were unstoppable now, but I knew that feeling would change once we actually faced something. "I'll go first and see how far it goes down. I'll holler up to you if it's safe."

I nodded, worry filling me. I didn't like the fact that he was going alone, but I also knew that he would straight up refuse to go down with me right behind him just in case of danger. He would always put his safety before any of ours, no matter the situation. He once broke his arm whenever Mia tripped both of them and he didn't want her to land on the cement. It was just the kind of guy Michael was.

He looked down the stairs, gulped once, then plunged into the darkness. I held my breath, counting how many times I heard the stairs creak. I assumed he would be going down far, but after about thirty creaks, they stopped suddenly. I heard faint shuffling, like someone was walking around.

"Reina!" Michael called up. I let out a sigh of relief and went to stand at the top of the stairs. "Come on, but be carful. The stairs aren't exactly the best quality."

"You know, I was doing just fine safety wise before I met you, Mikey," I chuckled to him, but heeded his warning and watched my step. I heard him scoff below me and soon could make out his features in the faint light.

"You broke your leg the day before we met, Reina," he teased, reminding me of that terrible soccer accident I had long ago. I made a face at him once I was finally on ground floor and he chuckled, taking my hand in his. Before this entire asylum situation, I hated anyone but Luke holding my hand. But now it felt natural and comforting when Michael laced his fingers through mine. I felt safe, even though we were constantly surrounded by danger.