Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Throbbing in his head, brought Preston awake. The buffalo snore that suddenly sounded beside his ear only increased that throbbing.

Buffalo snoring?

His eyes flew open and a quick glance to the side revealed Xavier's sleeping face next to his, his mouth close to Preston's ear and his warm breath washing over his skin.

Preston then noticed that Xavier's arm was wrapped tight around his torso and his leg had wrapped around Preston's securing his body against him.

Another snore sounded in his ear and Preston winced. How had he ended up here? Hadn't he decided distance was the answer to his relationship with Xavier? This wasn't distance! Hell, he could feel every inch of Xavier pressed against him and Preston's body was most definitely reacting.

Squeezing his eyes shut tight, Preston tried to remember how he'd gotten here. He remembered being heart broken as Xavier had ridden away from him the night before. He hadn't wanted to part ways with the man, hadn't wanted to say goodbye...

So, to drown his own self pity over the unfairness of his life, Preston had gone to the saloon and begun drinking. Isn't that what men did when they needed to forget something? He wanted to forget his sickness, forget Xavier, forget everything.

And for a moment he had. Then he'd gotten confronted once again in an alley. The memory was fuzzy but he knew a man had thrown him against the wall and whispered threats while shoving himself against him... Preston's stomach rolled at the memory.

Then Xavier had come. Like some kind of guardian angel, the man had entered that alley and beckoned Preston to him. And Preston had gone. Then the man had called him.... Preston felt heat rise in his cheeks. Xavier had called him his.

And then everything went black until waking up here in Xavier's arms.

Preston realized the snores had ceased. He cracked on eye open and realized Xavier was awake and watching him with those light green eyes. "Morning," Xavier said, his voice thick with sleep.

Preston could feel the heat flaring in his cheeks. His voice was barely more than a squeak. "Morning."

"Does your head hurt?"

"Yes," Preston whimpered, closing his eye tight again.

Xavier grunted. "Good. Think about that the next time you're tempted to drink yourself stupid."

Preston tensed. It seemed Xavier was back to being an ass. "Maybe I liked drinking that much," he mumbled.

Xavier grip on him tightened. "You won't be doing that again."

Preston frowned. "You can't boss me."

A growl rumbled in Preston's ear. "Stop being difficult. You're too goddamn smart to be drinking yourself so goddamn stupid."

What the hell was Preston supposed to say to that? He knew that Xavier was right. Drinking that much had been a mistake and Preston had nearly paid for it...

"Okay. I won't do it again. Xavier?" The man merely grunted. Preston opened his eyes and managed to look over at Xavier, meeting his sharp green gaze. "Why are you in bed with me?"

Instead of pulling away, Xavier pulled Preston in closer. "I damn sure wasn't gonna sleep on the floor."

"You could have gotten your own room."