Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Preston stepped out of the stagecoach office which held the postal and telegram services as well. He'd sent word to his family, letting them know that he was just fine, telling them about his traveling companion, the ways he was learning to defend himself, and the fun he was having. He left out any mention of his most recent breathing attack and the healer they were going to go see. That would only cause his parents to worry and hope and neither were things he wanted to cause them. He didn't mention the possibility of bounty hunting either... He could only imagine the reaction his overprotective papa would have to hearing that.

Preston glanced up and down the crowded town streets but didn't see Xavier. Where could the man be? They'd already put the horses and mule up at the livery so he knew he wasn't busy doing that. Preston adjusted his saddlebags over his shoulder and swatted at a fly buzzing around his head.

He needed a bath.

Preston headed down the road toward the bathhouse, pausing when he saw the tailor shop. He picked at the hole in his sleeve and rubbed at a stain in his trousers. A new set of clothes wouldn't hurt anything.

As he stepped out of the bathhouse a short time later in a set of fresh stain free clothes, Preston still didn't see Xavier.

Where the hell was his man at?

Preston's stomach rumbled angrily. He was starved. He didn't want to eat without Xavier but if the man didn't show himself soon, Preston wouldn't have a choice.

He saw a bench nearby and decided to have a seat and let Xavier find him. Laying his saddlebags beside him on the rough wooden seat, Preston stretched out his legs, laid his hat over his face and cross his arms over his chest. Might as well rest a bit while he waited.

Preston hadn't realized he'd fallen asleep until Xavier's voice jerked him awake. "You really shouldn't fall asleep in the middle of town. I don't reckon a sleeping man can defend his damn self."

Preston shoved his hat up on his head as he looked sheepishly up at the dark silhouette above him. "I wasn't sleeping."

Xavier crossed his arms over his chest as those dimples deepened in his cheeks. "You weren't, huh?"

"Nope."

"Yes, you were. I'm not the only one who snores."

Preston felt his face redden as he got to his feet and hefted up his saddlebags. "Yeah, well, let's go get something to eat. I'm starving."

Preston started walking, nearly becoming tangled up in his own feet when Xavier's breath blew across his neck. "Damn you smell good."

Preston took a big step to the side, placing distance between them so he could focus on those words he knew so many of. "I took a bath. You could stand to have one yourself."

Xavier chuckled. "I'll get one after we eat. I wouldn't want to stink up our first night in a real bed."

The two men ate their lunch in the crowded diner before making their way to the hotel. Preston wished he could walk closer to Xavier. He wished he could hold his hand. But this wasn't home and home was the only place Preston knew of where folks didn't get uptight about two men being together.

Preston felt a pang of homesickness. He really did want to get back there soon. He missed his family. And he wanted to show Xavier how life could be when you didn't have to hide who you were—who you loved.

"Hello gentleman, could I interest you in a couple of rooms?"

Preston shook his head as he pulled his money pouch from his saddlebags. "Just one room, sir."