November 11th, 1984

When Hargrove had left on Friday, they both agreed to meet up at the movies on Sunday. There was a new horror film out that everyone was talking about and they thought it was worth checking out. Steve showed up at the back of the theatre at 10:30 and waited for Hargrove to show up. They were still 17, so they had to sneak in the back to get into the film.

Billy showed up ten minutes later in his camaro. Unlike the other times they had met up, he didn't do his hair or take extra care with his appearance (apart from what he did every day). Though he did wear his bomber jacket because the weather was getting colder. He got out of his car and stomped out his cigarette with a smile.

"You ready to see people die in their dreams?" He asked.

"How do you know they die in their dreams?"

"I asked around school about it. Had to stop a kid from ruining the plot entirely because he liked it so much."

"Let's hope it's as good as he says."

With some help from one of the theatre employees (a guy in Steve's algebra class), they successfully snuck into the back of the theatre and got a seat near the back. There were quite a few people already there, including a few adult couples, so fooling around was out... but honestly, Billy didn't mind. He'd be alright with just watching a movie with Steve.

The opening credits started and Steve was pretty interested in it. Hargrove would whisper a comment here and there about it, and Steve would reciprocate. Thankfully there was no one in their row to object to their little commentary. Eventually there was a scene where a guy was on the phone with his mom, but played a tape of sound effects to lie about where he was. The actor was actually very attractive.

"That's really clever." Billy whispered.

"But who is that guy?" Steve whispered back. "He's... really cute."

Billy chuckled. He was kind of happy that Steve was able to admit a male actor was appealing, it meant he was getting more comfortable with his sexuality. Soon the next scene showed the character in his bed, having fallen asleep with his TV and headphones on... and wearing a crop-top.

"Shit, a crop top?" Billy whispered.

"That's pretty out there."

"I wonder what the costume designer was thinking."

They didn't get to ponder that for long as the scene shifted to the actor getting pulled into his bed while screaming, then a fountain of blood exploded all over the room. Steve couldn't help but curl in on himself with a grimace at that, and Hargrove seemed to react similarly.

The rest of the movie was filled with scenes like that, and by the time the credits started to roll, Billy realized that they had shifted close enough that their shoulders were touching. He looked over to Steve, who seemed to just realize it himself, and they looked at each other for a moment. They didn't say a word, didn't move away, it was like they were just in their own little world until the lights came on.

Billy didn't hate it.