1

*Enjoy!*

There's no other place in the world quite like Central Park.

The warm afternoon light filtered in between blossoming trees, shining down on the chatting picnickers and frolicking children underneath. Glass towers sparkled along the horizon, a rectangle of vibrant green nestled amongst muted grays. A pocket of quiet encircled by chaos.

This was Magnus's favorite place to be. A place that inspired him, where he could let his creativity run wild and uninhibited, where he could let his brush glide along his canvas, where he could let whatever emotion, whatever thought, whatever idea he had, manifest itself in every stroke.

He stopped for a moment, tilting his head to the side as he examined his work, a smile brightening his face as the canvas slowly came to life before him.

"I like your painting, it's really pretty!" A tiny voice chimed behind him. Magnus turned his head to meet the wide eyed gaze of a little girl. She looked to be no more than five years old, wearing jeans and a pink shirt with the image of a daisy.

"Why, thank you, little one!" Magnus greeted. He noticed the little girl holding a tulip between her small hands. "I like your flower," Magnus said, his smile gentle, "it's really pretty too."

The little girl beamed and held the bright yellow tulip out between them.

"Here!" She said, bouncing excitedly on her heels, "You can paint a pretty picture of it!" Magnus carefully took the flower from the girl, studying it for a moment, warmth coloring his expression.

"I definitely will." He said, and tucked the tulip behind his ear.

"Emily?" The little girl's head turned towards a woman who appeared over a small rise. "Emily! There you are! What did I tell you about wandering off?" The woman, who Magnus assumed was the little girl's mother, placed her hands on either side of Emily's face, kissing her forehead, over and over, relief flooding her voice. "Don't ever scare me like that again. What were you doing?"

"I was watching the nice man paint." Emily answered, pointing at Magnus. The woman sighed, and turned to Magnus, eyeing him apologetically.

"I'm sorry if she was bothering you." Magnus waved a hand at her dismissively.

"She wasn't bothering me at all."

"I gave him my flower. He said it was pretty and that he would paint a picture of it!" Emily grinned. Her mother smiled sweetly.

"You gave him your flower? That's really sweet of you, honey." She stole a quick glance at Magnus's canvas, then looked to him. "Sorry, again, about that. Your painting is wonderful by the way. I hope you enjoy the rest of your afternoon."

"Thank you, you too." He replied.

"Come on, sweetie." Emily's mother took her by the hand and started off. Emily turned and waved goodbye to Magnus, who responded, in kind, with a wave of his own. Magnus smiled as he watched the little girl and her mother walk over the rise and out of sight. He plucked the tulip from behind his ear and twirled it between his fingers, the light catching the different hues of yellow within its petals beautifully.

It really was a pretty little flower.

He placed the tulip back behind his ear and continued working on his piece, making sure to leave room in his painted world for a little yellow flower.

****

The sun had begun its final descent behind the Manhattan skyline as Magnus brushed the last strokes on his canvas. He stood back and admired his work with a smirk, satisfied with the outcome. Another great piece. He thought to himself. The end of a good day amongst a string of bad ones, and it felt great to be back on track.