[Chapter Fifteen: Still Here]

Quick Author's Note!

This chapter is gonna be a little different and I'm gonna stray away from the game for a moment.

If I get positive feedback on this one, I may do more chapters like this, or maybe even a whole separate, more original (most likely Portal related) story!

I just really need to get my creative juices flowing because I've basically been writing from a script (That script being, well, Portal 2, the game)

Let me know what you think of this one!

Thanks so much, and enjoy the chapter!

______________________________________________

Echo sat in silence. She had been waiting patiently with her leg jammed into the catwalk for what seemed like ages. In reality, it must have only been a day, or even less. She had no understanding of time, no grasp on how it really worked. She had no tight grasp on any concepts, really. She said what she thought, and what she thought never seemed to make any sense, even to her. All she knew was that she wasn't really supposed to be thinking in the first place. She knew that she was different. 

She could probably list all of the things she knew. She knew that somewhere below her, below the facility, was another facility. She knew that something was happening down there at the moment. She knew that something was not supposed to be happening there. She knew that the mainframe must have been hacked into, or taken over by something else; the lights had gone dark, the turret production had been put on hold, and the facility seemed far more lifeless than it had just moments ago. And, she knew that someone was coming for her. 

She remembered her tall, human friend. A kind woman, with a few notable features. She was, well, taller than Echo, of course. She had pretty blue eyes, and dark hair that was tied up. If the woman's hair hadn't been such a mess, Echo could imagine that it would be silky, and it would flow in what little air could reach all the way down in the facility. She had some strange devices attached to her legs, that made her seemingly invincible to height. She had the classic orange jumpsuit that all test subjects wore, though she wore hers differently, unzipped and tied around her waist. Perhaps, the human was like her. Maybe she was different, too. 

She had hope when the nice lady had rescued her from her inevitable demise. She wanted badly to tag along. Maybe she could help the woman in return. The woman, however, would not let her. She jammed her right into the catwalk, and moved on. Echo thought long and hard about the promise that she made. "I'll come back for you, I promise," she had said. Echo was beginning to think that the woman would not be back. That maybe, she was unable to return for her, now.

Echo was snapped out of her thoughts by the distant warning of the omnipotent announcer that kept a watchful eye on every function in the Enrichment Center, and the facility as a whole. the oracle turret could not hone in on exactly what he was saying, but it sounded less than desirable. From everywhere, all at once, a harsh rumble could be heard, and no more than a few seconds later, felt. Echo's pupil contracted and darted around the dark hall that she was trapped in, but her limited visibility made it hard to see anything. 

After a few moments, a light flickered on from above. A wall panel opened up, and the lens of what seemed like a camera peered in, and then settled it's sights on Echo. "Oh, look at you down there! Stuck in the catwalk. How'd you even get down there anyways? Odd. But whatever, you'll do just fine." A spunky British voice called down to her.  Echo blinked up at the camera as a mechanical arm slipped it's way through the opened panel, going to grab her and yank her up from the catwalk. She made an alarmed sound and flailed her legs.