Chapter 2 Reconnaissance mission

General Sun ordered a reconnaissance group to patrol the nearby areas to ensure we're not attacked a second time. I was assigned to command a squad of 20 soldiers, some of them are my friends. They are Frank (an American military advisor and rifleman), Liang (heavy machine gunner), Cheng (light machine gunner), Lin (submachine gunner), and Feng (rifleman). We set off in a few M3 Scout cars, M2 Half-tracks, and one M4 Sherman Firefly.

Y/N: How long has it been since we left the base?

Frank: Only 3 hours. General Sun also ordered us to make contact with nearby villages, get intel on this world.

Driver: We're here! -brakes-

Frank: Good thing that one of the military advisors understands Latin and was kind enough to lend us all a Latin-to-Mandarin* book, and a Latin-to-English to me. -chuckles-

The villagers came out of their homes confused at what they're looking at. I asked a villager a question.

Y/N: (In broken Latin)* Who is in charge of this village?

My tone was off by a lot, but at least they understand me.

Villager 1: Our village chief, over there. -points-

I looked to see an elderly man walking towards me.

Y/N: (Latin) I have some questions to ask you.

Village Chief: Of course, what do you want to know?

Y/N: What is this village? And are there any villages near here?

Village Chief: This village is Coda. The only nearby village is an elf village in that direction. -points-

Y/N: What is this world? Who rules this world?

Village Chief: This world is Falmart. There are several Kingdoms here. They are Kingdom of Elbe, Alguna, Mudwan, League Principality, and last but not least, the Empire itself.

Y/N: Empire? I'd like to know more about the "Empire".

Village Chief: Have you been living under a rock? The Empire is a militaristic civilization and the most powerful out of all of the kingdoms. They are led by an emperor named Mal Sol Augustus.

Y/N: (In Mandarin to himself) Sounds kinda Greek.

Village Chief: What's that?

Y/N: (Latin) Nothing, I was muttering to myself. We're going to visit that village.

Village Chief: Here take this map.

Y/N: Thank you, sir. (Mandarin to his troops) Move out, everyone.

We left very quickly to search for that elf village.

In the Empire

Marcus: My lord, the men you led on the other side of the gate were defeated and the forces that were guarding it were wiped out. I've never seen such magic used against our army.

Augustus: Inform all the other vassel Kingdoms to unite and fight the outsiders on Alnus Hill and retake the Gate. Implement scorched earth tactics on nearby villages and poison the water supplies.

Marcus: But that will damage our economy and...

Augustus: Do it.

Marcus: -gulp- Yes sir. -leaves-

Back to reconnaissance group

I was on the lookout for any threats when I saw smoke in the distance.

Y/N: Everyone stop! There's smoke in the distance!

Everyone stops to look at the smoke. Someone gave me a pair of binoculars.

Y/N: -looks through binoculars- Oh shit!

Liang: What is it?

Y/N: A dragon. A big, red dragon.

There was a red dragon, way bigger than ones we fought back at the Gate and Nanjing.

Frank: We got to go there.

Y/N: NO! It's a suicide mission, Frank. We know nothing about the dragon so fighting it would be charging to our deaths! Like charging at those imperialist Japanese devils with our dadaos*! We'll camp here and head there tomorrow for any survivors.

Chapter 2 END

*Mandarin is more commonly spoken in China than Cantonese. And much easier to learn.

*Remember, you're a Chinese soldier or American military advisor, so most likely, you have an accent while speaking in another language.

*Dadao (Literally means big blade) is a Chinese sword. There are several variants but the most recent one used here is a short, wide and slung to the back, wrapped in a cloth. And yeah obviously charging at a gunman with this is suicide. You know what they say, "Don't bring a knife (or sword in this case) to a gunfight".