Chapter 2: The Reunion

At the first mention of the traitor's name, England wanted to groan in annoyance. The brit had always hated that man. After all, it was because of him that he'd lost his (once) precious brother. He'd implanted those dangerous thoughts of freedom into his head, and the result had caused England to go into a depression for about a century. 

England merely rolled his eyes. "So? That's no reason to miss a m-" Before England could finish his sentence, he felt a force hit his cheek, along with a loud cracking noise, and white pain followed after. An audible gasp rang out as the nations stared in shock. England, cupping his cheek after being slapped, stared at America is utter bewilderment. 

'Did he just... slap me?' England thought, stunned. 

America's eyes looked a million times more cold. His breaths fought to regain composure, and England could see the tension in his shoulders and his arms threatening to quiver beneath his jacket.

"Don't you DARE say anything about my Father!" America hissed, trembling in anger. "He may have defeated you, but he and many others were willing to sacrifice their own necks so that I could get that freedom! He truly cared about me, unlike you apparently! He actually understood me, and didn't ever use me just to profit off of my land and my people!" He practically spat out the word 'profit' with a hatred that made even England hesitate. The slightest bit of regret bubbled up inside of him at the reminder of their painful past. 

"And what's more, he actually LOVED ME!" America screamed, his face becoming red. His eyes seemed to shine a bit brighter, and nobody could tell whether it was from pain or anger. 

Then, to the nations' shock, he promptly burst into tears. Shoulders heaving with sobs, he let himself sink to the floor. 

"A-Alfie!' Canada exclaimed, hurrying over to his grief stricken brother and hugging him once more. England and the other nations were still too stunned to speak as the Canadian rubbed his twins back with whispered attempts at comfort. Some nations felt sympathy for America, and kept quiet about the heartfelt scene. 

They understood what it was like to have loved somebody and have them taken too soon.

"America, Please calm down. We're sorry about your loss. We didn't mean to offend you," Lithuania spoke up gently, stepping forward. 

"It doesnt't matter." America whispered, barely loud enough for the others to hear. Eventually, he forced himself to his feet and out of Canada's embrace before moving to his seat. All of the nations were fairly shocked and unable to respond further. Why was America acting like this? Where was that usual idiotic, carefree nation with that Hollywood smile who always talked about robots and superheroes? It was even beginning to scare a few nations. 

Reluctantly, the meeting continued. China delivered a report on national trade issues, India gave a speech on pollution, and Venezuela talked about immigration problems in South America. Finally, it was America's turn. By then, about an hour had passed and the room was finally beginning to settle into a more comfortable atmosphere. Some nations inwardly groaned as America took to the podium at the front of the room while others rolled their eyes. The last thing they felt like talking about was robots and other such nonsense.

America for his part seemed to be trying hard to pretend the earlier incident had never happened. Instead, he flashed a confident smile to the assembled nations, determined to get through this meeting the way he always did. He waltzed up to the podium and turned to the crowd. 

When he opened his mouth to speak, France beat him to it. 

"Ah Mon Chere, back to that charming boldness of yours, I see?" France sang with a wink, America felt his face flush awkwardly as England sputtered in rage next to France. 

"You pervert! Can you stop flirting to save your life!?" France smirked. 

"Mon Deiu, Black sheep. Had I known that you were interested in the boy, I would not have flirted with him." England now looked a deep shade of red and turning purple. "Y-You-!" Whatever England was about to say was cut off by the thick double doors of the meeting hall bursting open and an eerily out of place figure walking in.