Chapter 3: Hello, My Son

Alfred could think of a million moments in his life where he was happy. He was a young country, but his list of achievements was large.

Going to the moon? He had leapt with joy as he watched with rapt attention. The end of world war two? He must have shaken thousands of hands of returning soldiers and welcomed many more back home with tearful hugs. 

But in this moment, he had never imagined the kind of emotion rushing through him when those doors opened. 

Why? Because he walked in. 

He just burst right through those thick doors as if he owned them, and he strolled in as if he'd been doing so all of his life, arms placed neatly behind him as he walked with perfect posture. The ease of his graceful moments could probably put Austria to shame. 

But he remembered his face from long ago. And he definitely had not always been seemingly glowing. It was almost eerie, how the edges of his frame almost seemed to waver as if he was made of air. He emitted this warmth, this glow, and for once Alfred did not feel like running in terror at what he knew must be a ghost.

This ghost was different. This ghost was him.

 He knew what that glow also was: Happiness. Love. The glee of knowing that you're reuniting to your nation and beloved son after 200 long and painful years. Although, he also radiated that familiar sense of authority, pride, and intelligence. That didn't, however, lessen Alfred's feeling of shock and overflowing happiness.

Silence filled the room as the mysterious man walked in. You could hear a pen drop, and the tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. The man had grey, almost white, hair that was neatly combed back and tied put into a queue. His eyes were old with wisdom and experience, and a strange calmness emmitted from him that seemed to affect everybody. He was wearing an old fashioned, black suit, his hands steady behind his back. He stood straight and tall, and his height was rather impressive. He had to be at least 6 foot 2. Polished black shoes covered his feet, and they shined with the light of the room. He looked very out of date in a room full of modern technologies, but the man acted as if he had seen them all before.

Everybody held a look of complete shock. Germany was the first to break from his stupor. 

"What... Who are you? What are you doing here? State your name before we have the guards come and escort you out!" He said warily, doing his best to sound unleashed but failing miserably. The man simply smiled a warm, loving smile and looked around the room. His eyes traveled over each country, trapping each one with his gaze and studying them quickly and carefully. Finally, his eyes landed on America, whose eyes were as big as dinner plates and mouth forming a perfect 'O'. He was pale and shaking, hardly able to believe what he was seeing.

His smile immediately grew wider. Somehow, even the glow around him seemed to brighten.

"My boy..." The man murmured softly. The voice sent shivers down America's spine. It was deep and commanding, and America internally relished in the sound of it. The nation's face was unreadable, but his heart was pounding in his chest. 

Finally, America managed to stutter, "I- Are- George...?" His whisper sounded as if America was in a dreamlike state. Yet his eyes were growing ever mistier, and slowly America shakily smiled his usual Hollywood smile, except this one seemed ten times brighter and more genuine than anyone had ever seen it before. In fact, their smiles almost seemed to match in intensity.

"F-Father...? W-what are... What are you doing here?" He whispered, feet shifting as he fought to remain in place. 

Washington gave America a fatherly smile. 

"My dear boy, I have always been here for you, even after I left this Earth. Yet, I know that sometimes this wasn't enough. For 200 years I have not truly been by your side, but merely a witness to you. I have missed over 200 of your birthdays, and I wasn't there to comfort you when you needed me most."

"I want you to know that during those tragic times, I found myself in despair that I could not embrace you again, and comfort you as you so wished. But finally, the veil between our worlds has thinned enough to allow me to do what I had wanted since I last left you. You have waited for hundreds of years to see me again, and I want to be there for you as well, though of course not forever. But i'm fine with whatever amount of time I am given, so long as I am able to spend it with you, and see you smile the way you did when you were at my side. I know that the smiles that you gave to the others were not always as bright and genuine as I saw them. I feel utterly devastated that I have caused you so much misery and heartbreak for hundreds of years, especially when you needed me for advice, or just needed my shoulder to lean on. I now wish to make it up to you. With that being said," Washington's eyes took on a light, humorous air. "Where is my hug?" George finished, beaming, as he opened his arms wide.

During the President's speech, America had tried impossibly hard to hold back his tears of joy as he heard the truth. That Washington had never really abandoned him as he so often feared. That he still loved him. Was still there for him. But the kind eyes, fatherly smile, and glowing love had finally broken through his defenses. 

America, unable to express his emotions in any other way, laughed breathlessly as his tears began to trickle down his cheeks. The young nation rushed towards Washington, gasping and crying all the way, until he slammed into his warm chest. Immediately wrapping his arms around his shoulders and burying his face in the space between his Father's shoulder and neck, America let himself absorb the words and the reality of the situation. He felt warm, steady arms wrap around him and hold him tightly to his chest. One hand went up to slowly caress America's soft hair, and the other massaged the arm that his hand reached. The caresses were warm and gentle, and at some points felt more like wisps of warm air running through his hair or over his arms.

Some of nations, mainly the G8, surrounded the two as they embraced. Most were still in shock, but many had quickly shifted to soft smiles. Some countries (France, Italy, Canada) 'Awwed' at the sweet scene. Canada visibly wiped away a tear, while Italy practically had hearts in his eyes. England was still visibly shocked, and slightly angry at the notion that the same man who made America leave him was standing right in front of him again. 

It took a few minutes before the two finally managed to pull apart. George cupped America's cheeks with his hands. 

"My, my! You've grown so much!" George praised. America flushed under the man's tender gaze. "Y-yeah. Things have really changed a lot since you passed away," he murmured. George smiled fondly. 

"Well how about we use this time to catch up and get me reacquainted with your life, hm?" George asked.