prelude

Sasuke takes a large bite from his persimmon before puckering and dropping the offending fruit to the floor. It rolls through the cracks of the porch and onto the small yard of grass. It's yellowing. A tell-tale sign of autumn.

"Fruit of the gods, my ass," he mutters sourly. He spits out his mouthful and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand before flopping backwards on the blanket spread underneath him.

Sakura peers at him from over her newspaper. She snickers. "Just what I'd expect from a city boy. Of course you wouldn't know how to tell if it was ripe or not."

Sasuke lifts his head and scoffs, dropping his head once more, settling it behind his arms. "Hillbilly," he mutters, then closes his eyes. It is silent for a short pause, the sound of the dancing leaves accompanying the crinkling of Sakura's newspaper.

"Ugh!" Naruto's head pops up from the floor inside. The screen door may partially cover his face, but the two of them have heard this more than enough times to know the face he is making. "Get a room, you two!"

"Shut up," they respond, unwilling to glance at each other.

It is a Saturday afternoon, where the Haruno residence finds the three of them lazing about. They returned to school about a month ago, but the after effects of summer break are still present. Typically, Sakura would be poring over schoolwork (although it's pointless for her, Sasuke thinks, because she's the smartest person he knows academically-wise), but today, she rests.

Another pause. Sasuke sighs, and slowly stands up. He folds the blanket and tosses it towards Sakura, who barely catches it. She scowls. He raises his brows before stretching like a cat after sunbathing. His shirt rides up enough to give Sakura a peek of his stomach, and she immediately goes back to her newspaper. (That damned city boy. He is so pale compared to her, and especially Naruto, who spends most of his days on the baseball field.)

Naruto pipes up. "Oi, Teme, are you leaving already?" He also moves to stand, then changes his mind. He settles back down on the floor, arms and legs spread out to take up at much room as possible. This does not perturb Sasuke, however, who merely slides the screen door open and steps over him.

"See ya," he mumbles to Sakura, who simply waves a hand, not bothering to turn and see him off. Naruto slides across the wooden floor and kicks at Sasuke's ankles. The blond pointedly stares at him, which he shrugs off.

He passes Sakura's mother, who smiles and reminds him he is welcome anytime he wants, and Sakura's father in the foyer, who nods in acknowledgment. Sasuke exits the Haruno household, kicks the stopper of his bike, and swings a leg over when the door slides open once more.

"Wait for me!"

Sasuke sighs and impatiently stands, straddling his bike. The tires inch forward. Suddenly, a blur of horrendous orange flies past him, and Sasuke immediately begins to pedal. Biking up the hill is a chore, something Naruto is astoundingly good at (the ramen-obsessed freak that he is) but Sasuke catches up in time so that the two of them start their descent together. Riding down the hill compensates for the trip upwards, and so Sasuke pedals even harder, determined to pull in front.

The two of them biking on the sidewalk is perhaps dangerous, but the thrill it gives Sasuke urges him on. He reaches the bottom of the hill quickly, and a quick peek over his shoulder tells him Naruto didn't bother to pedal, merely letting his momentum do the work. Sasuke begins riding again when he is sure Naruto has slowed down to prevent colliding into his back, this time taking a leisurely pace.

They pass what the locals call Yama-Nara-Aki territory, and Sasuke is glad Ino is not outside to see him. He spots Shikamaru napping on his porch, and Chōji snacking on a bag of flavored chips. Next is the veterinary clinic, to which they see Kiba walking a few dogs. He calls out to them, and Naruto grins, hollering back a reply before squeezing his breaks. Sasuke puts a foot down, staring questioningly.

"Inuzuka owes me some money," Naruto explains. He waves a hand. "Go on without me, Teme!" He hops off his bike, then drops it, taking off towards their classmate who is currently trying to escape the blond's antics. Kiba finds little success, being chained to the spot by the dogs he's walking.

Sasuke moves the forgotten bike to the lawn before continuing on his way. The ride back to his own apartment takes more time than he thinks, with all the distractions, and so Itachi is there before he is.

"Sasuke?" Itachi's head pops up from behind the refrigerator. He must have began making dinner already. He is wearing an apron, long hair pulled back into a low ponytail. It's almost amusing, seeing his dignified brother look more like a housewife, but Sasuke comes to acknowledge the more feminine preferences he has. It is the same Itachi that has always been. He slips off his shoes and steps inside, nodding to his brother. He stands very still from his place next to the door.

"Sasuke?" Itachi queries again, looking concerned.

Sasuke snaps out of his reverie and grunts. "Itachi." He shuffles up to the small kitchen counter and rests both arms on it before leaning forward and smushing his face into his forearms.

Itachi chuckles knowingly and begins moving around the kitchen once more. "Bad day?"

"The usual."

"So your plan failed, then?"

"Hn."

Itachi nods to himself. "Your problem is quite simple, little brother. I received many confessions when I was your age, so it must not be too difficult." He busies himself by washing some green vegetables Sasuke doesn't recognise. Most likely something dropped off by either Asuma or Orochimaru.

Sasuke snorts, then uncovers his head to glare at his older brother. "You've never had to confess yourself, Itachi. They're completely different."

"Ah," Itachi agrees wisely, "but now you feel more sympathy for your own so-called fangirls. They did something even you are unwilling to do." He turns off the sink and turns fully to Sasuke after drying his hands and fumbling for his wallet somewhere on his person. He holds out a few crumpled bills. "We can continue this sometime else. Could you go to the store and pick up a few things?"

Sasuke grumbles and bitches and moans, but he is quick to accept the money and head out the door. For Itachi, he will do anything. Itachi was there when Sasuke needed him. He was always there for him. And so running small errands for Itachi are nothing.

Sasuke passes the restaurant the Akimichi family owns, and his mouth waters from the hints of grilled beef and chicken he can make out. He nods politely as he moves to the left of the sidewalk in order to make way for a biker. It's Naruto from earlier, who merely grins as he rings his bell an obnoxious amount of times.

Sasuke's mind wanders as his body settles into a pattern. Maybe talking to Itachi about Sakura wasn't the best idea. He could have been the one responsible for when Orochimaru-sensei arranged for the two to sit next to one another in AP Bio. Maybe word just travelled quick. Yes, that was it. But who was the first person to give away Sasuke's secret? It was supposed to be a secret. He hasn't exactly told anyone word-for-word that he has, as the idiot Naruto says, the "hots" for Sakura. Is he that obvious? Has she heard the rumors?

At last, Sasuke reaches the convenience store on the corner, and enters. He is not shocked, but rather mildly surprised by what he sees.

Sakura turns, expression frozen, a deer caught in headlights. Then she sees him and relaxes. Sakura grins. She's holding a small plastic bag with bulging sides that rustles as she waves enthusiastically. "Hey, Sasuke-kun!"