daydreaming and disputes

A/N: I really hope the timeline makes sense lol. I think Inaka is going to be memories and moments in the countryside rather than following a linear plot. So chronologically the first chapter is present time whereas the second and so on will probably all be past. I'm not 100% sure yet, since I'm writing Inaka for enjoyment hehe. I'm also thinking of making chapters longer, but I have no clue what's a good length?

Also as a side note, I took an AP test which comprised of an essay (out of 5 points) in May and got the results back. I got a 5 and am absolutely stunned. It feels great to see my hard work pay off, as I am certain that writing fanfiction has actually helped me in articulating my thoughts and other necessary components. So, like, WRITE FICS IF YOU WANT!!! But as for one last victorious outburst: YAAAAS SJKFVHBJK!!!

Sasuke drummed his mechanical pencil against his desk impatiently, waiting for his paper. The lead inside rattled. In front, Kurenai-sensei was briskly sweeping by each row of desks, handing a small stack of worksheets and having it passed back. Behind him sat Haruno Sakura, the angry girl with the scratched-up bike. It had been a couple months since their little incident occurred, but she had made sure he was reminded of the condition her bike was still in, shooting glares and dirty looks whenever his back wasn't facing her. No, scratch that, Sasuke thought he could literally feel the heat of her stare on the back of his head at times.

Here's a surprising thing he'd learned about her, though: Haruno Sakura liked to nap in Honors Calculus, particularly right after their lunch period, so she looked even more undignified with grains of rice stuck on her cheeks from the bento box she carried in everyday. No, Sasuke was not watching or paying any particular attention to her. They're simply observations he's made, thankyouverymuch. But yes, he did find it amusing when she usually (okay, fine, it had only happened once) had a few stragglers from lunch on her face. Or when she did a little wiggle in her chair, hand raised, just dying for Kurenai-sensei to call on her. Or even that she collected those cutesy stationary items and used them during note taking. But she was a source of entertainment to him, and nothing more.

At the moment, however, Haruno Sakura was just an annoyance.

"Oi. Haruno."

Sasuke tapped her forehead again, this time with the eraser on his pencil.

"Ha-ru-no."

Kami, she was an airhead. She might have a 4.0 GPA and be involved in nearly every single extracurricular activity the school offered, but she was by far the most oblivious person Sasuke had ever had the displeasure of meeting.

He sighed, it's none of my damn business, and placed the paper on her head before turning around and copying the notes their sensei was writing on the chalkboard. That was another thing—the school's technology was not the greatest. In fact, it's rather pathetic compared to what Sasuke was used to. In the end, he figured, their purposes weren't too different though. But imagining the chalky residue on his own fingers and listening to the scratching on the chalkboard left him momentarily disturbed.

Sasuke's mind wandered after he caught up to whatever was on the board. What would his father say about his train of thoughts? Most likely something about how he's so entitled to complain about using a chalkboard instead of the city's "high-tech gadgets" his father was always struggling to use. Gah, screw his dad. Uchiha Fugaku and Mikoto wouldn't be visiting for at least a few months, so he had plenty of time.

Sasuke found a new topic to think about. His eyes wandered to the front of the room, where a particular blonde was fidgeting in his chair. Naruto. Sasuke's original perception of him wasn't far off. He was well-liked, a tad bit obnoxious, and mediocre at schoolwork. But Naruto's got one hell of an arm. Sasuke had started out on the boy's baseball team as pitcher throwing to Naruto, their catcher. But somehow along the way their coach Asuma-sensei (he taught physics but coached boy's baseball in the spring) switched them up and found that Naruto's wild side had an advantage. He was able to pitch harder and faster, Sasuke begrudgingly admitted, and so they swapped roles. Maybe at first he had been spiteful, but Sasuke found that he enjoyed staying in the corner of the playing field, surveying everyone's movements and then acting accordingly. It wasn't as flashy as pitcher, of course, but it just seemed right for him, staying in the back.