Twenty

Malachi stepped forward and looked up. The giant chain was low enough now to be visible. The heavy clanking bass of the winch was now joined by the lighter rattle of of a cluster of smaller chains dangling from a hook as long as he was tall. When the giant links slipped on the winch the smaller chain cluster rippled like an industrial wind chime.

Ellie ran into him, seeking safety. She looked up and saw what he saw. She looked for Tila and froze.

'Nearly here,' said Malachi. He found her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

Ellie was watching Tila. Her hand was limp.

Malachi followed her gaze.

'Oh no.'

Tila held her ground. She couldn't give up the console. This was their escape. She knew she would have to hold Typhon back until her friend's ascent was underway. Then she would have to find a way to join them.

One problem at a time.

'You came here? How much do you know?' Typhon's surprise was real. The question genuine.

He didn't expect to find us here. He wasn't looking for us. So why is he here?

'We know everything.'

'Everything? Three senseless scrats from the Juggernaut worked out what's happening here? I find that hard to believe, Tila.' He was closer now. He walked slower. He saw and heard the chain too. Maybe he didn't understand their plan but he had no intention of letting them execute it. He headed for the console.

'We're not idiots. We put the pieces together.'

Tila mirrored his steps. The chain was nearly down. Once Ellie and Malachi had climbed on she would have to reverse the direction and...then what? Stay here until they were out?

I can't fight him that long. If I had my staff maybe I could break the lever?

She stole a quick look at the floor. There it was, alone and unnoticed. She could jump down easily enough to get it but that would leave the console unguarded.

But I can't fight him unarmed. Not with those gloves on.

Typhon took another step toward the console.

Torn between two impossible options, Tila took a step toward Typhon.

Malachi snatched at the nearest chain the second they were in reach. He held it out for Ellie.

'Just go. Tila will get you up. I'll be right behind you, okay?'

Ellie was still transfixed by the man on the platform. She could almost see the sparks from his gauntlets from here. She remembered the pain.

'Ellie, please, just climb. We'll get out of here and then we'll all be safe.'

A pirate ran into the space and charged at Malachi, throwing him to the ground. Ellie barely flinched.

The pirate and Malachi traded blows, rolling and wrestling for position. Malachi grunted with effort. Feet scrabbling for purchase, fingers clawing for hold.

Ellie just stared. The winch kept turning.

With no one able to turn it off the chains began spooling at her feet.

Typhon threw the first punch. Only a simple jab to gauge distance and reaction. He was in no hurry. He never seemed to be in a hurry.

Tila bobbed backward. Evasion was her only plan. Blocking those gloves was going to hurt as much as getting hit by them. She would have to be careful. She would have to slow the fight somehow.

'We know Conway's plan. We know all of it,' she offered.

Typhon lowered his fists.

'Conway's plan?'

Tila nodded. More confident now she added, 'We found everything. The truth behind the colony mission. The mining. This refinery. The slaves. Everything.'

'Everything?'

Tila nodded. She had the upper hand now. They knew all the facts. They had discovered all the secrets.

'Everything,' she repeated.

Typhon's laugh was an amused, incredulous bark.

'Oh Tila. You have no idea do you?'

Tila felt her advantage slipping away. 'No idea about what?'

'Honestly, I'd rather you died never knowing the truth. Ignorance is bliss, so they say.'

'What's Conway really up to?'

Typhon answered with another jab. The strike carried him half a step forward. Tila dodged half a step backward.

Slowly their positions began to reverse.

Malachi forced his elbow under the pirates chin and pressed up. The man resisted, fixated on striking Malachi with his fists. Malachi ignored the hits and pressed harder. Self-preservation kicked in at last. The pirate broke away and rolled to the side. Malachi rolled with him, pressing the small advantage he had.

The pirate sensed it and twisted, throwing Malachi to one side. The pirate climbed to his feet, panting. Malachi grasped exposed pipework and pulled himself up. The pipe broke off in his hand, releasing a cloud of dirty grey dust.

The pirate spat, wiped his eyes with the back of his hand and charged again.

Malachi looked at the pipe in his hand and swung as hard as he could.