Forty Six

'Yes, Tila, you are.' Grace answered, equally stubborn.

'So that's where she gets it from.' Ellie whispered to Malachi.

'No.' Tila said again. 'If you're staying, I'm staying too. I can help.'

Grace's voice softened. 'Tila, I know it's hard, but I need to know you will be safe. Please understand, I can't help but think of you as still my little girl. I need to keep you safe.'

'I haven't been safe or been a little girl for a long time. Not since I lost you. I'm not losing you again.'

They stared at each other, each one defying the other to back down. The seconds felt like minutes and then Malachi coughed and broke the spell.

'Very well,' said Grace. 'But we're going to talk about this later.' She turned back to the console, and rolled up and stowed her medical kit. Then the turned her carbine so that it lay horizontal and started laying down other weapons to check them too.

Ellie tugged on Tila's arm. 'Are you going to get told off by your mother?' she whispered.

Tila shrugged, nodded and smiled. 'I think so.'

'I'm so happy for you.' Ellie whispered as she squeezed Tila in a quick hug then hurried to finish putting her flight suit back on.

'But I can't leave you Ellie. I made a promise.'

'You're not. I'm leaving you. You just found your mother again. I understand, and I know you will keep your promise.'

Grace continued to expertly check her weapons and equipment with quick fingers. Components were disassembled, examined, cleaned and reassembled in moments. Scopes, barrels, and power cells clicked back into place within seconds. A dozen small black disks with coloured markings were next. Grace pulled them from hip pouches, spread them out, counted, and re-holstered in a careful sequence. Next was the heavy blaster from her thigh holster. She checked the trigger, grip, and power levels, tested the iron sight, and lay the weapon on the console when she was satisfied. She repeated this with another much smaller pistol that had been tucked behind her back. Her helmet visor and mic were adjusted and set down next to the blaster.

Finally, Grace tugged at her body armour to settle it more comfortably and evenly distribute its weight.

By the time she was done, Ellie and Malachi were in their flight suits with a helmet in each hand. It had been a rough day so far and though he was dressed for action he felt far from ready.

Tila's stowed her suit and helmet in one of the lockers.

'Jayce wanted those back,' Ellie chided.

'He can send me the bill.'

Grace reslung her carbine and holstered the blaster. 'Do you know how much an advanced prototype ship like that costs?'

'Should I?'

'About ninety million.'

Tila slammed the locker door closed. 'Wow, that is a lot. Don't scratch it, Ellie.'

'That price doesn't bother you?' said Malachi.

'No. Jayce can bill me for nine hundred if he wants. I still can't pay it. What's another few zeros. Anyway if Conway really is the good guy here he can pay for it.'

'We live on the Juggernaut,' Malachi explained to Grace. 'When you don't have anything left no one can take more from you.'

Grace pulled on her helmet. The visor retracted. 'I'll seal the door from the other side. I'll knock twice when that's done. Then you two can depressurise and get to your ships.

Malachi nodded and pulled on his own helmet. Ellie already had hers on and saluted instead.

Grace said, 'All you have to do is get that data back to Conway. It will tell him everything he needs to know. Once he has that he will be able to get the authorities here and shut this place down.'

'That's all?' said Malachi.

Tila pulled Malachi to one side as Ellie adjusted her suit.

'Mal, forget the chip, okay? Just make sure Ellie gets home. That's all I want. I want you both safe.'

He squeezed her shoulder. 'I'll get her home. See you there?'

'Time to go,' said Grace. 'I'll see you outside.' She tucked the carbine into her shoulder, opened the door and stepped out.

'Are you going to be ok?' Ellie asked Tila.

Tila nodded, watching her mother standing guard by the door. Protecting them.

'I am now.' she said. 'Now go, and be safe.' She kissed the top of Ellie's helmet then spun her around and pushed her toward the airlock.

'Look after her,' she told Malachi as she embraced him. 'And yourself.'

'We'll be fine. All the bad guys are on board.' He gestured toward Grace. 'You look after her! You only just found your mother again. Don't lose her now.'

Tila grinned and stepped backward through the door to join her mother. She pressed the control to shut it. The last thing she saw was Malachi's thumbs up and Ellie waving. The door closed.

Grace pulled a strip of tape she had stored on the side of her carbine and plasted it down the length of the door seal. Then she ripped a small thread from it's length. The tape ignited in a shower of white hot sparks and formed an instant weld. The carbine was back into her shoulder at once.

She scanned left and right. The way was clear. It was time to leave.

'Let's move,' said Grace.