Part 10- day/ night 9

Mat;
Nates slim body presses against mine. His cold skin touching mine as frigid winds bombard us. I peer at the bumpy view of rocks and metal as I adjust my hoodie, a sponsor I was given during my recovery. Me and Nate trade off wearing it, zipping it up to our neck, keeping any cold temperature out. I can't help but hide a blush when Nate wears it, the way he tries to keep warm is embarrassingly cute. He reminds me of a small puppy in a sweater.

Nates face starts to tense while his body trembles and shakes. Another nightmare. His soft face gone hard in horror. Quickly I wake him from his terror, quietly calming him while I comb through his hair. "Your safe, your with me. Your safe." I repeat softly, calmingly as I can. Nates eyes still glued shut, his body blindly claiming mine. Usually I would blush like an idiot when Nate is this close to me, but I'm not thinking—all I can do is try to calm Nate. I cringe at all he's gone through—we've gone through since training. His innocent smile back at the fire starting station is gone now, burnt out like the fire and replaced with dark clouds.

As my fingers trace Nates scalp I think about Elise. What was she like? Did they ever fight? What kind of fights would it be? Big or petty. I've always wanted to know about their past together, but it never came up and naively thought I had more time to ask. I've been meaning to ask Nate about her but it seems too early to bring her up. Of all tributes I expected Elise to be a front runner, for her to be gone—I avert thoughts quickly as thinking about it is too hard. Too early.

Nates face softens again though his breathing is still a bit jagged. When I think he's alright his eyes open in alarm at the sudden raucous noise of a scream along with falling trees in the distance. The scream is close by, sounding like a screech from a horror film, deafening and horrid. Both Nate and I shoot up in defense, ready to fight if needed. "What's making that noise?" I ask. "By the sounds of it I don't want to find out." Nate replies softly, his voice not sounding like his. Not his regular joyful voice, though after what's happened I don't blame him.

After about a minute the screaming is cut off suddenly. Almost as if the volume was cut, vanishing like a ghost. Though the screaming stopped the falling trees continued, and not long after back-to-back cannons blare—notifying us only 6 remain. Curiously I scale a nearby boulder to get a better view, and from the distance I see an island enclosing in on itself. Water encroaching on the land, sinking it whole. An entire island gone in a matter of minutes, killing whoever is trapped inside. Or rather killed whoever was inside now.

"The Final is going to start soon." I say loud enough so Nate could hear me, though if he did he didn't show any sign of hearing what I said.

I hate to hope such a thing, but, I hope those cannons were for Axil and Sill. I can't imagine going against them both in the finale. If not; my last faith will be placed in Nates genius plans. If I didn't have him I wouldn't be here still. Probably would have died from a simple infection or dehydration. He's the only reason I'm in the final 6.

Nates bright eyes find mine, his eyes seeking comfort that I wish I could give. "Can you keep watch? I'm going to take a fast nap." I say, resting my head on one of our many bags without waiting for his response. Desperate to turn off my mind as it wanders towards the enviable; one of us has to die, there is only one winner, one of both of us will be dead soon.

Fatigue takes over me, plummeting me into darkness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A scream jolts me awake. Looking around frantically, I don't see who's screaming but Nate who's shushing me. Nodding his head towards a nearby boulder, his eyes hinting fear. Silently getting up I sneak towards the boulder where the screaming gets louder and more painful. The screaming reminds of of the screaming from the other day, but a lot closer, and sadly more painful.

Their scream suddenly muffled with a resistant cry, but from where I stand the crying is still whimpering in my ears. Asking for my help. Begging.

With trepidation I slowly raise my head above the boulder to reveal a horrid scene. Stranding high the girl from 10 raises her ax above her head, blocking the sun, casting dark shadows on her fierce face. Looking more like an angry wolf. Like chopping wood, she dropped her arm, decapitating her frail victim.

Looking closer I slowly realize the victim is—was, Tori from district 9. Covering my mouth, I quickly cowry away. Desperately holding back a cry, holding my breath to conceal myself. Nate looks just as horrified, if not more scared than I am. Without words we decide to hide behind the boulder terrified that even a slight movement could mean imminent death. Any mistake could have her realize we are here.

I risk a glance back behind the boulder and the girls head snaps in our direction. Quickly I snap my neck away, my breathing speeding up. The sound of her ax skidding across the hard metal forces my hairs to stand erect. Closing my eyes I decide that hiding is useless, I have to kill her.

I risk looking at Nate, desperate to hear a plan of some sort. Though He's already looking at me, a slight smile spread across his face. I find an unnerving warmness attached to that smile, terrified of what he's thinking. Not trusting that damn smile. My skin crawls as I see him about to speak. When he does I knew I was right to be nervous.

"I love you Matty. But I refuse to lose anyone else I love." That was all he said before hurdling towards the girl with the ax.