Chapter II

"Our soulmate is the one that makes us come to life." - Richard Bach

March 15, 2019

After my class the next day I decided to go to David's house.

"Hello," I called out walking in the front door. I wasn't paying attention to what was in front of me because I was more interested in my phone but I became very clear of surroundings when I felt a paintball hit me in my thigh.

I immediately grabbed my leg in pain.

"That's payback for hitting me with the tennis ball," Jeff shouted.

"You got paid for me to hit you," I shouted back at him. "You didn't have to take David's money."

"And you got a scholarship to go to college, but did you have to take it? No."

"Those are two very different situations."

"Fine I'm sorry," he said sarcastically.

"There better not be a big bruise," I responded pointing at him. I pulled the bottom of my shorts up slightly to check. "There was definitely a fresh can of CO2 in there."

I walked outside where everyone else was with Jeff following behind me.

"Hi Ms. Nash," I smiled seeing Jason's mother. "When did you get here?"

"Oh, hello, dear," she smiled getting up from here spot on the outdoor couch. She gave me a hug and I returned it. Ms. Nash was like my third mom (David's mom being my second) and I would go to her if I needed advice. I could go to my own mother but her response would be 'you should worry about school and becoming a surgeon and that's it.' "I just got here from Boston."

  "That's a long flight, aren't you tired?"

  "Oh no, I'm fine."

  "Hey Kenzie, where'd you get the paintball mark from," Heath asked.

  "This dick, Jeff, over here," I responded, glaring at him.

  "I said I was sorry," Jeff said, holding his hands up.

  I rolled my eyes and sat down next to Natalie.

Everyone was filming and I was scrolling through Instagram.

"Kenzie will you please come to a party with us tonight," David pleaded.

  "Today's Thursday right," I asked, not taking my eyes off my phone.

  "Yes."

  "Yeah, I'll go."

  Everyone looked at me surprise and in shock.

  "Why do you guys look so surprised," Jeff asked.

  "Because usually Kenzie blows off partying to study," Zane said. "But when she comes out with us, we don't even know what happens to the medical school student Kenzie but like a whole other person comes out."

  "That's not true at all," I said.

  "Oh yes, it is," Natalie laughed.

  "Natalie, you fucking betrayer," I said, gasping.

  Later that night I was getting ready for the party. I slipped on a black, tight, strapless dress and tried to pull it down to make a little bit longer but it just go right back to its spot right below my butt.

I slipped on a pair of black heels and a oversized jean jacket so it slouched off one of my shoulders.

I threw my long brown hair up into a messy ponytail and waited for David to pick me up.

I soon got the text from him and went downstairs to the lobby where he was.

"Who the fuck is this," Zane said when I got in the backseat next to him. Jeff was sitting in the passenger seat next to David, Zane and I were in the second row, and Natalie and Heath were in the far back.

"Satan," I replied sarcastically.

At the party I took a copious amount of shots, mostly with Natalie and even shotgunned a beer with Heath, surprisingly beating him.

"Take that you pussy," I said, putting the can down after I finished.

"Holy shit, it's empty," Zane said, picking up the can. Everyone bursted out in cheers at seeing that I finished a beer.

  I was drinking more and soon I was tripping.

  "Hey I'm gonna take Kenzie home," Jeff said. "Can you send me her address."

  "Sure," David replied.

  "All right Kenzie, we're gonna go home," Jeff said, wrapping his arm around my waist so I don't fall again.

  "Okay buddy," I replied.

  Jeff ordered an Uber and we walked outside when it got here. He opened the door to the back right and sat me down in the car. He made sure I had my seatbelt on before walking over to his own side of the car.

    "Hello," he said to the driver. I wasn't one of those crazy drunks or angry drunks. I was more of a quiet drunk. I was quiet until I thought I needed to say something.

  Soon we reached my apartment building, Jeff got out of the car and came around to my side of the car to help me unbuckle.

  "We're gonna take the elevator," Jeff said, holding my wrist as I walked towards the stairs.

  He pressed the button for the elevator and it opened rather quick because no one really used the elevator.

  We stepped in and I pushed the button for my floor.

Jeff walked me to my door and I attempted to open the door with my keys but I couldn't.

"I got it," Jeff said, replacing my hand with his. He opened the door and we walked in. He helped me take off my jacket.

"You haven't even taken me out to dinner and you're all ready taking off my clothes," I joked.

"I'm just trying to help you," he responded, going slightly red.

"I was just joking around, don't get your panties in a bunch."

I walked to my room and laid down on my bed that was calling my name.

Jeff sat at the end and grabbed my feet and plopped them in his lap.

"Ya know, Jeff when I first met you, I thought you were a jackass but you were hot so it was fine," I said as Jeff undid the straps to my heels. "But now I realize you're less of a jackass but still very hot."

"Thanks Kenzie," he said, putting my shoes on the ground. "Now, you're gonna be in a lot of pain tomorrow so don't forget to drink water and take Advil."

"Mhm," I said starting to fall into an intoxicated sleep.