Chapter IX

March 18, 2019

Waking up was definitely the hardest part of the morning after St. Patrick's Day.

I got out from under the covers of my hotel bed, immediately missing the warmth. Blinking my eyes to help wake up, I stood from the bed and walked over to the Advil bottle I had set out before I partied last night. Silently thanking sober me, I took three pills and downed them with water.

I got into the shower, washing away the dirt from last night.

  "Morning!" David called from the other side of the door. Did he have a key or some shit?

  "How the hell did you get in here?" I asked, turning off the water.

  "I told the front desk I lost the key to my, well your, hotel room."

  "That's creepy." I said, wrapping my towel around my body and opening my door. "Can you hand me my bag?"

  "Sure." He said, handing me my suitcase as I said a quiet thank you. "What are you doing today?"

  "First I have to go see Jeff about something."

  "Jeff? You two seem to be getting along well."

"Yeah, I guess."

"So, like could you see yourself in a relationship with him?"

"David, I haven't even known him for longer than a week, and besides you know better than anyone, I don't do relationships anymore, not since Ilya."

"I know. What are you doing after your thing with Jeff?"

  "I'm gonna go see my dad." I said, as I pulled on some jeans and a sweatshirt.

  "You're dad?" David questioned once I left the bathroom. "Are you sure thats a good idea?"

"I don't want to hate him for the rest of my life."

  "I'm gonna go back to my room, there's nothing exciting to film in here."

  "I just woke up do you want me to jump off a building or something?"

"Could you?"

"Get out." I said rolling my eyes.

"Don't forget our plane takes off tomorrow morning!" He called before he left my room.

  "I know." I muttered quietly, as I walked back to the bathroom to blow dry my hair. I could not risk getting sick.

I grabbed my jacket off the chair I threw it on last night and laid it over my arm. I walked down to Jeff's room and knocked on the door.

"Hey." He said after he opened the door, smiling slightly.

"I was serious about what I said last night." I said, after taking Jeff's money out of my coat pocket. I grabbed his hand and put the money in his hand.

"I was being a gentlemen." He smirked, leaning against the door frame.

"Being a gentlemen, does not mean you have to pay for everything, Jeffrey."

"What are you doing today?"

"What does that have to do with this?"

"I'm just wondering."

"I'm going to see my father." I said quietly and crossed my arms.

"You're father? That's good right?"

"Yeah. I think so."

"Well take this for coffee, or boba, or whatever." Jeff said putting the money, I just gave him, into my hand.

  "I hate you." I responded, shoving the money back in his hand.

  "And put on a shirt, it's Chicago and cold!" I called as I walked down the hallway, towards the elevator.

I ordered an Uber as I walked outside of the hotel, the cold air immediately hitting my lungs, causing me to shiver lightly. I waited for my Uber, texting my father that I was going to be leaving the hotel soon. I stuffed my hands in my sweatshirt pocket, attempting to protect them from the cold. I received a notification saying my Uber was here.

  "Hello." I said once I entered the car, the heat causing my face to turn slightly red. I zoned out as we drove to my father's home in Vernon Hills. I quietly thanked the driver when he pulled up to the house.

I sighed quickly before knocking on the door.

  "Kenzie."