3

Daddy always told me I could get whatever I wanted in this life if I smiled, tucked my shoulders back, and spoke like a lady. I had one of those down. And as for the other two, well... school brings stress and stress brings profanity. On behalf of the smiling part, 4 years of braces never gave me any confidence anyway.

Xander's mom invited me to dinner at the Stowell residence tonight. I've only met her a couple times during my two years of dating Xander so I still get nervous every time I have to talk to her. If I can avoid it, I don't talk to people; that's another reason I'm friends with Haley, she's the talker.

I laced my short wavy hair into a half up half down style with a baby blue ribbon that turned out to be longer than my actual hair. Xander always liked my hair down; he said it made me look like his dream girl. That was the finishing touch to my outfit. I styled a cocktail dress with a baby blue skirt and white lace top to match the ribbon and white heels with pearls sewn into them. I kept my jewelry to a minimal necklace. After all, I was just eating dinner with them, not meeting the queen.

I said goodbye to my pug, June, and left the house. The closer I got to his house the more I could feel my heart beat in my chest. It wasn't long before I drove up his long driveway and parked next to his most prized possession: his BMW.

For it being just him and his mom, his house was huge: 7 rooms, 6 car garage, and an impressive 7,000 square feet. The garden in front of his house was extravagant with the perfectly trimmed rose bushes and striped grass.

I walked up to the doorway and rung the bell while flattening out my dress. His mother answered the door and immediately smiled. I remembered my fathers words and smiled back. Sure it was fake- but so were my mothers breasts and she still landed the richest doctor in Tennessee- so obviously faking it until you make it works.

"You look wonderful, Avia. Xander should be down any moment now. I made him change into something for suitable for dinner," she explained the situation and showed me to the dining table.

"Your home is beautiful, Ms. Stowell," I made sure to assess the cleanliness of it all. Unlike my father, Xander's family doesn't like hiring help, which I found rather counterproductive, but evidently his mom likes cleaning.

Xander's dad died when he was in seventh grade but was supposedly a famous basketball player so he sits upon the 1% like me. Daddy always wanted me to marry someone with a hefty inheritance but even if Xander wasn't a millionaire at 18 I'd still love him. He was all around perfection. I couldn't do better if I tried.

His mom and I sat across from each other when Xander's footsteps pounded down the spiral staircase and into the dining room. "Hey, Avia, don't you have to study tonight?" His voice seemed disinterested but I knew that was just a façade so his mom wouldn't catch onto how much he truly loved me. All guys do it; it's for their egos.

"I can always make time for you," it was hard for me to say those words. I know I probably should be studying but how could I deny an opportunity to be with my heart and soul?

Their chef (who they don't consider help, more like family) brought in the dinner and set it in the middle of the table so we could eat. "So, Avia, Xander tells me this will be your twelfth year in ballet?" I nodded and elaborated on all of the upcoming shows I had, how rehearsals were going, and any college recruitments. Not that I needed any recruiting; I knew where I was destined to go and if my incredible GPA couldn't do it for them than the Westbrook status surely would. Yale loved my father.

"I wish I could get Xander to care about school as much as you do. Do you know how many donations I've had to make just to keep Xander at that school?" She rolled her eyes and laughed.