Chapter Four: Ode to the Innocent

When you came to, you were on the ground. It was still night, but the cool scent of morning was beginning to rise. You saw in the distance, the smoldering remains of the Joestar mansion.

What the fresh hell happened? You saw a small Asian man digging about in the rubble. You made your way toward the wreck, but as you walked your now impeccable hearing picked up a soft sound from beneath the rubble.

Wrryyyyy...

"Dio!" You ran towards the sound and began clawing at the spot you heard the noise from.

The man that had previously been digging stopped and raced towards you.

"(Y/N), I presume?" He extended a hand to you.

"I've no time for-" you stopped when you realized he held the stone mask. "Give me that mask." You commanded, your voice dark.

He shook his head. "I'm sorry miss, Lord Dio told me to keep it safe until his return, and I am bound by his word."

Wait, Lord Dio? How long were you out?

You grabbed him by the neck and lifted him in the air. "I will break you like a toothpick, so help me if you don't give me that ma-"

"(Y-Y/N)....." Dio's voice came from the rubble beneath.

"My love, I'm here!" You continued digging, mask completely forgotten.

The little man actually began to help you, and you succeeded in recovering Dio.

His body was in terrible condition, burn marks covered him head to foot. Most of his clothes had been singed off. Most, I say, as his goods were still covered, along with most of his left side. You then noticed a horrid gash through his middle.

"Dio.." you gasped. "What happened?"

"You really... don't remember...?" He breathed out, his voice weak and raspy.

"Remember what?" You asked. "Whatever it was, it doesn't matter. We need to get you all fixed up.. what is it you need?"

"Blood.." Dio choked out.

You held out your arm, offering him your blood.

"No... I couldn't possibly take anything from you... it's my job to provide, after all..." Dio pushed your arm away.

Damn his pride. It'll be his downfall one day.

"Excuse me, Lord Dio," That strange Asian man from before piped out. "We must be going, the sun will rise soon."

"Of course..." Dio nodded. "Take us... to the castle..."

Castle??? Your eyes lit up. You had always wanted to stay in a castle.

"Dio, are we going to live in a castle???" You practically squealed in delight.

"You deserve.... no less..." He chuckled.

The Asian guy, who you later learned was called Wang Chan, produced a carriage. You helped Dio inside, and Wang Chan climbed into the drivers' seat.

In the back of the carriage, Dio's head lay in your lap as you stroked his hair and sang softly in an attempt to soothe his pain.

Like a feather, like a whisper,
Like a promise shouldn't wither,
Away with the last rays of hope
In a longing for belonging
To something more
A million light voices
Now washed up ashore