Chapter 73: Meeting Jon...Jak

Hahahahaha. 

White trash. 

Bro bashing. 

Super funny moment because it's so awkward. 

Everybody laugh!

Jim did not laugh. 

He lost his temper. Whether it was the stress of returning home to resentful children, or Eric's historical advances towards Ariel, or this stupid snooty restaurant, Jim snapped.

As the Triton's lightly snickered, Jim reached for the champagne. Grasping the neck, he pulled the bottle from the ice bucket, took a step towards Eric and –

"Jak!"

Eric saluted as Jak reappeared. The greeting was cheesy and grandiose, but it forced Jim to pause. Eric leered delightedly as Jim stopped, silently daring him to 'finish the thought.'

Jim really wanted to. Nothing would gratify him more than to shove the champagne bottle up Eric's ass.

But Jak was watching. And any chance Jim had of reconciling with his son would be wasted by a champagne bottle stuck in Eric's colon.

Very slowly, Jim returned the champagne bottle. He glared lethally at Eric as it crunched through the ice.

Eric knew he had won.

"Relax, Hawkins," Eric tapped Jim's shoulder as he passed, "It's just a joke. Besides, it would be impossible to kill you socially with such a beautiful wife, right? Oh come on, no need to scowl. We're family now, just having a little fun. Ah Jak!"

Eric seized Jak's forearm. He gave a hearty, overly affectionate shake. "Well received Master Sergeant, it's been a long time! The navy has missed you seaside but Admiral Triton tells me your leadership training is going well! It's great to see you again, son!"

Son?! Jim looked at Ariel in disbelief. His fingers itched again for the champagne bottle. Ariel remained calm, but her trident glowed an angry red. Even Admiral Triton lifted a brow.

Jak, for his part, appeared to have gauged the entire situation and decided to treat all parties with equal neutrality.

"Captain," he responded, eyes flicking between Eric and Jim. "How are you, sir?"

"Ah, no need to call me sir !" Eric shook harder, as if the display would animate their conversation. "Uncle Eric is fine! Hell – Eric probably seems more natural to you, right? I'm a navy sailor and you're a marine! We're basically the same!"

That got a little smirk from Jak. While it was true that marines sailed on naval ships, there was a historic feud between the Navy and the Marines. The Marine Corps thought it was better than the Navy, and the Navy thought it was better than the Corps.

But Jak knew the truth: Everyone was equal. They were all on the same team.

Just kidding: Sailors were cry babies. Marines were the best. Nice try Uncle Eric.

Admiral Triton rerouted the conversation, as a seasoned officer does. Assuming that Ariel was hungry (she was), he recommended they be seated for the first of a seven course meal.

"Here we go..." Jim drew Ariel's chair. "Une apéritifs."

Everyone sat. Jak seated himself peripherally to Ariel and Jim, separated only by Admiral Triton. It was actually a strategic move. If Ariel and Jim wanted to talk with him, they would have to lean around Admiral Triton to hold a conversation.