⋆ ˚ 。⋆ ✧ ⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼ four.

⋆ ˚ 。⋆ ✧ ⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼ ✧ ⋆ 。˚ ⋆

CHAPTER FOUR: THE SUN

❛for those who illuminate the world while losing youth.❜

⋆ ✧ ⋆

⋆  ✧  ⋆

NOT everyone can hear the music. Everyone is capable of listening to it, but not many can actually hear it. Not everyone can sense the emotions hidden within the produced melodies.

It is possible for people to notice the change in the played piece, when the soft and calming tones transition to dark and more than haunting ones – but not many understand what lays behind the sudden change. For those people, the only logical explanation is that that is how the composition is written. And sometimes, they are right. There isn't a hidden meaning behind what is played, but that is not the case of James Carstairs.

Beatrice Fairchild knows that something is wrong the moment Jem's violin resonates an elegy; a musical peace in the form of a lament. Not only is it laced with sadness and excruciating sorrow, but Jem manages to add his own touch to it.

It all starts slow and rather quiet and Beatrice assumes that the starting melody is only heard within the four walls of his room. However, when the piece of art reaches the crescendo, Beatrice knows that Jem feels miserable again. The increase in the volume can only mean one thing for the young musicians such as Jem and Beatrice and that is that they are being taunted again. And they are not capable of overcoming the emotions that have visited them.

Slow and graceful in her step, Beatrice carefully closes the door of her room and proceeds all the way to Jem's. It isn't such a long way to her friend's bed chambers – just down the corridor and then right – however, walking in pure darkness accompanied only by James' haunting melody does make Beatrice's journey interesting.

Once she finds herself in front of the old wooden door that separates Jem's bedroom from the rest of the Institute, Beatrice leans towards it. Gently putting her ear to the door, the young girl can't help herself but dive into the world of music.

Music, to her, much like to Jem, is a safe way of traveling to the past times. It almost feels like the musician possessed the key which could help turn back the clock and return to the previous life – one of agony and loss, happiness and love.

Both of them embrace music in the largest possible hug, taking it under their control. Because of that ability, musicians often find themselves in a different world. Quite frequently, in the world of pain.

"Bea, you can enter. There really is no need to stand in front of the door, eavesdropping – might I add."

The blonde girl stands frozen for a few moments. Though she hasn't expected James to notice her presence, she can't say that she is surprised. Jem is, much like herself, a Shadowhunter. His senses are more than impressive, therefore it was only a matter of time when she was going to get caught in her doings.