⋆ ˚ 。⋆ ✧ ⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼ eight.

⋆ ˚ 。⋆ ✧ ⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼ ✧ ⋆ 。˚ ⋆

CHAPTER EIGHT: THE FIXED STARS

❛for those whose hearts are filled with hope, faith and love - an yet are destined to be broken.❜

⋆ ✧ ⋆

⋆  ✧  ⋆

WHEN James Carstairs opens his eyes - for the first time after two weeks of being unconscious - he is greeted by William Herondale. Right at that instant, Jem is being engulfed in a tight hug; his parabatai squeezes the tiniest fragment of life he has left in him, making him struggle in taking a much-needed breath of fresh air.

The silver-haired boy would have lied if he said that he is disappointed that it is Will who hugs him first. Quite contrary, the embrace takes James by surprise. His parabatai isn't known for openly showing his affection - even to his best friend. It went against everything Will has portrayed himself to be.

"I am so glad you're alive," the raven-haired boy pulls apart, taking his time in examining Jem. He appears drained; purple bags decorate the skin underneath the boy's eyes. His cheeks are sunken, accentuating his sharp cheekbones.

"Why are you speaking as if I had been asleep for centuries?"

Will gnaws at his lower lip as he meets Jem's silver orbs. The Herondale boy doesn't want to talk and even if he does - Jem is almost certain that he is coining a plan on how to sugar-coat the truth.

"How long have I been asleep?" Jem's voice doesn't rise, preserving his calm demeanor.

No answer comes.

"Will!" Jem's eyebrows furrow, creasing his pale forehead. A flicker of anger lingers behind his silver eyes. "Just tell me."

"Two weeks."

Jem laughs loudly, tossing his head backward. It is a dark, pitiful laugh. It is a sign of helplessness and bewilderment.

The boy can't believe it. He has been unconscious for two bloody weeks!

"Impossible," Jem mumbles into his chin, his palms tightly squeezing each other in his lap.

The Carstairs Shadowhunter tries summoning his memories of the past events, but no image appears in his mind. There is just a bright white light, an emptiness of sorts.

"It doesn't matter. You're okay now," Will shakes his head, reassuring his friend.

"Oh, spare me with the pathetic lies! Don't you understand? It is only a matter of time, Will!"