Unknowing

D-5448 was his new name, so at least he knew that now. He wouldn't forget it, either, because the combination was now stained into his skin by black ink. The provided cells weren't the greatest places, either. Yeah, there were some rooms separated from one another, but several people had to bunk in a single room rather than one to two people per prison cell.

Other than what was going on at the Foundation, D-5448 had managed to remember some things from the time before he came here. Fragments of his childhood and the killing of his victims were the main things, but he also eventually remembered his experiences in jail, though those weren't very interesting.

The testing that he was subject to was being exposed to SCP-217, a supposed virus. The Foundation had yet to discover much about it. It felt kind of demeaning to be infected by a supposedly fatal disease just for some tests, but there was a good side. He had to be isolated from everyone to ensure that the virus wouldn't spread to other personnel.

Sure, it was lonely. Yeah, it got boring really quick. But hey, at least he had his own room now! There were people who came in to visit him, so he wasn't completely devoid from any human interaction. Even if the people were in full HAZMAT suits every time they saw him and only came in to make evaluations on his well being or to feed him, it was something.

Three weeks. That's how long he estimated he had been in this solitude. However, one day, an announcement came over the speaker in his room.

"Good evening, D-54. How are you?"

"Oh, just peachy. I'm having the time of my life," he responded sarcastically.

"Mmm, I figured you would say that. I could only imagine that it would become a bit boring in there."

"Yeah, just a little." More sarcasm.

"There's no reason to use that tone, sir. After all, we have arranged another test for you to take part in."

"Is it another disease?"

"No, actually. It's--ah, I shouldn't say it."

"What is there to worry about? Is someone else listening to us?"

"Well, no. Actually... you'll understand once the test is in session."

"Oh, I'm so excited to participate."

"Again, there is no reason to use that tone to a subject of authority. We wouldn't want to get rid of you this far into the month."

The audio from the speaker cut out.

D-5448 didn't want to do this anymore. Waiting out his death sentence seemed like a better option than all of this. However, something within him told him to look on the bright side. This could be fun.