chapter three

"Number eight, control yourself. Concentrate." Lynette squeezed her eyes shut and concentrated on the energy forming at her fingertips as the sound of her father's voice echoed in her ears. Energy sparked and flickered on her fingers. Gently opening her eyes with her eyebrows knitted together, she bit down on her lower lip as she worked on stabilising the purple-coloured ball of energy in her hands.

The academy stood aside and stared in amazement as the energy surged, giving off a violet-hued ray of light lighting up the features on Lynette's face, as her lips slightly parted in shock. A wave of energy caused a slight breeze to blow in her face, making her light brown hair flow along with the current of the wind.

Upon stabilising the power of the purple orb, Lynette sent it toward her siblings who glanced at each other worriedly. She enlarged the scale of the orb that could once fit in the palm for her hand into one that encased all of her siblings and slowly lifted them into the air.

Lynette squeezed her eyes shut as she focused her strength into lifting her six siblings off the floor. Sparks of electricity shot out from her body as her eyelids flew open revealing her eyes that now were glowing with a radiant lilac hue.

Small bolts of lightning hit the furniture and paintings that decorated the home of the superhero children, charring them and leaving evidence of burns as the areas hit emitted wisps of smoke.

Her hair whipped around in the increasingly strong wind currents as it transitioned from it's natural light brown to a lavender shade of purple.

"Number Eight, that's enough, stop this madness. Now." Her father's voice bellowed loudly as he hid behind an armchair in the living room attempting to dodge the shocks of lightning that were shot all throughout the room.

Lynette's power only grew. She hadn't heard her father's words that commanded for her to stop. Her abilities grew out of control more so than what she could handle.

As the energy she controlled reached its maximum capacity of usage, her eyes shone brightly as larger bolts of electricity shot around the confines of the living room.

"Netty stop!"

Five concentrated his powers and space jumped out of the purple ball of energy, tackling Lynette and pinning her to the floor, pulling her out of the trance like state. The purple faded from her hair and her eyes shifted to back to their original colour before her eyelids fluttered closed before the world around her turned black. The only sounds Lynette heard being the hollering of her sibling's voices faded yet echoing in her heard as she lay limp on the hardwood flooring.

----------[]----------

Slowly lifting her heavy lids, Lynette attempted to focus her vision to assess her surroundings. A ringing reverberated in her head as she made an effort to sit up before feeling someone's hand on the small of her back, assisting her as she tried to gain her composure after blacking out.

"Hey, hey, careful please."

It was the voice of comfort she craved from the person she cared about the most, Five. A pricking pain shot up her arm as she looked down with unfocused eyesight to notice and IV embedded into her inner elbow. Lynette groaned as her head pounded relentlessly and the world around became progressively clearer.