[23] Kiss and Tell

The problem with having a crush is that once I'm aware of my feelings, I feel the uncontrollable need for others to also be aware of my feelings.

Not that I'm itching to tell Atty in particular, but I have to tell someone. Else I'll explode. Death by an incessant urge to gossip.

I'm right in the middle of rehearsing how to tell Presley I've got the hots for her mortal enemy, when Atty takes the turn left onto our street and pulls into the driveway. Surprisingly, Collette is on the porch- snuggled on one of the 3 wicker chairs pressed against the railing.

She immediately hops up when she sees us and runs over, engulfing me in a warm hug before I can even take off my helmet.

"You're back," she says, smiling wide. There's a certain sparkle in her eyes and a lilt in the way she said 'back' that tells me she's probably not talking about returning from Felix's.

I nod and say, "got a little lost, but it's all good now."

Atty grumbles as he sidesteps around us and heads towards the house. "Yes, yes, this is all very touching. Now can we please go inside?"

He's shifting his weight from foot to foot and rubbing his arms. Pfft, this idiot's cold. I narrow my eyes and smirk. In the most innocent way possible, I ask, "is it chilly out here, grandpa?"

"Funny. You know, not everyone has a freaky level of body heat like you."

"What? I do not. Maybe you're just naturally an iceberg."

He scoffs and folds his arms. "On the ride back, it felt like there was a furnace on my back."

"Yeah, but you liked it." I hope, at least.

Atty shakes his head, grinning. "Not the point." Then he gets cold again, I'm guessing, because he starts rubbing his palms together.

Collette giggles, "want me to fetch you a sweater, dear?"

We both start laughing at his expense so he loudly proclaims something about this turning into a bullying environment and saunters away. As he leaves, he announces that he'll be having a video-conference soon in his office so we need to 'keep it down'.

Collette and I eventually head into the house too, shuffling to the lounge. On the coffee table I spot a large bouquet of bright orange roses. I instantly gasp, the rich orange of the flowers contrasting against the sapphire blue of the curtains behind them is absolutely stunning. For a moment, I forget how to breathe.

The sweet and fruity smell hits me next as I approach the massive thing. There must be at least 50 roses arranged in there! I feel compelled to toss them all in the air and dance offbeat- like a music video.

"Oh, those are from Sammy. Arrived just this morning," Collette explains, settling into one of the slate grey couches. Sammy?

I scrunch my eyebrows, where have I heard that name before?

Wait, Atty told me this! "Sammy as in Sameer Almasi Mehr? The fiancé?" I remember this only because his initials spell his name.

"No, not fiancé, just boyfriend-," she begins, then immediately stops and raises her eyebrows, lips parted in surprise. "You know about him?"

"Atty told me."

Somehow, this shocks her even more. I'm not sure why, from what I've experienced at least, Atty's quite the chatterbox- especially if I get him started on certain topics (like the ethics of sword design, or Devon).

Collette is quick to recover as she starts talking about Sammy. "He's such a sweetheart, honestly. He sent these," she gestures to the flowers, "because it's the 9th anniversary of June's."