[28] Daredevil

It never stops amazing me how stupid 'time' is, as a general concept. Last year, when I got my arm stuck between the iron bars of Uncle Gus' main gate (not my fault), the two hours it took Dad to free me literally felt like three days. Yet somehow, the past few days since my Cornell trip feel like only a couple hours. I still can't believe it's Friday already.

Time for me to go home.

There are so many questions the smarter part of my brain wants me to answer. Was running away the right decision? Did I get the break I needed? Am I a changed person now? On and on and on.

But the rest of my brain- the much, much, larger part of it, wants me to look for Atty. Because it's 4 pm, which means dad will be here in an hour, and I haven't seen Atty all day. Collette and Jay, on the other hand, haven't left my side since breakfast.

Should I be offended by this? I can't figure out if Atty's absence is a clear sign of disinterest or if something else is going on. He's acting up and I'm going to figure out why.

I finish folding the last of my pants and stuff the pile into my duffel bag. Considering all I brought with me was my runaway go-bag, there's not much packing to be done. I glance around the room, making sure I've accounted for everything.

Jay continues shuffling through his own gym bag- the one he brought with him into 'my' room, for some reason. Eventually he finds whatever it is he's looking for and tosses it to me. Of course, I don't catch it in time and the object smacks me right on the arm instead.

"Ow, what was that for?"

"For you. C'mon, look at it." He's smiling really wide, not-so-patiently waiting for me to retrieve his gift.

I search the bed and find the small object. It's a bright yellow rubber wristband. I inspect it, turning it over and inside out, but there doesn't seem to be anything written on it.

"My mom," Jay begins, "I don't remember her much but every time I picture her, the thing I see most clearly is a yellow wristband. Atty told me it's because mom used to say the bands are happiness charms- if you wear one it'll help you be happy no matter your circumstances."

Oh my god. That's unbelievably beautiful but...

"Is this your mother's? If so, I can't have something so important, I-"

"No, no, no," Jay interrupts immediately, "the one mom wore was lost a long time ago. And besides, she had a whole drawer of them. It's not a specific band that matters, any yellow one can be a happiness charm."

I smile as a soft kind of warmth spreads through my chest. "Thank you." I'm genuinely shocked by how comforted I am simply because someone wished for my happiness. Kind of feels like I found a life hack, or a cheat code or something.

Collette strolls into the room, a massive grin monopolizing her features. With her golden hair woven into a delicate French braid, she looks particularly enchanting. She scans the room and as soon as her eyes land on my duffel bag, she slides over and unzips it.

"Collette?" I ask. What's she up to?

"You forgot something, that's all."

Ha, that's the oldest trick in the book. I wait for her to finish, then immediately pull out whatever it is she stuffed in just a few moment ago. My hands sink deep into the bag as lush red fabric nestles around my wrists. When I pull the cloth out, I'm stunned.

It's a gorgeous knee-length summer dress. There are rustic wooden buttons running down the front, from the faint sweetheart neckline to the intricately embroidered hemline. Not only does this dress have sturdy spaghetti straps, but deep pockets too- finding both those things in one dress is like stumbling upon a leprechaun in a snowstorm. It just doesn't happen.