[39] The Vipress

There's something about the club fair that makes my hair stand on end. Maybe it's the grandness of it all, the fact that the entire school gets flipped into an amalgamation of colorful booths, wandering teenagers, and free goodies for an entire half day.

Or maybe, I'm freaked out because I still can't believe my little bug club managed to qualify. If it wasn't for the dozen or so botany students storming my sign-up sheet after my announcement last week, I really don't think I could've gotten the club qualified in time.

But I did, thanks to Myra and Vik. And so here I am, lumbering to school at an ungodly hour- the sun is barely up, with rusty's trunk filled to the brim with posters, baked goods, massive neon signs, and other booth essentials.

I even put on a goddamn tie (with a blazer of course, I'm not an animal).

I cover my mouth as a massive yawn takes over, my eyes glazing the way they do when you know the yawn is a good one. Resting my head against rusty's passenger window, I quietly watch as the trees pass by.

Atty taps his fingers against the greying vinyl of the steering wheel and glances my way. "Tired?"

"Shut it."

"Ooh, and grumpy too," he chuckles.

"Bite me," I grumble, placing my palm against my knee in an effort to stop it from bouncing so much.

He laughs, "is this any way to treat the guy who so generously offered to take your car to the mechanics?"

I purse my lips, stopping a reflexive smile from peeking through. "The kiss I gave you earlier was thank you enough, pretty boy. Don't push your luck."

Really though, I'm the one who should be counting my blessings. Not only was I lucky enough to have Dad with me this morning to help change rusty's tire to one of those tiny spares, but I've also got Atty, who heard everything over the phone and immediately offered to take my scrappy car in for repairs.

This time, I don't stop the smile from curling through my lips. I lightly bump my head against Atty's arm as he pulls into the almost empty school parking lot, sliding rusty into a spot near the back.

"Finally feeling the gratitude?" he teases, stretching across the steering wheel. He folds his forearms against the top of the wheel and buries his face in the space in between his arms. When he turns his head towards me, his warm green eyes peeking just above his bicep, I forget how to breath.

He looks stunning in the morning light, with the early rays of sunshine dancing over the edges on his face. And also, the way his torso is pulled across the driver's seat... just, whoa.

"What?" Atty asks. Even though I can't see anything below his eyes, I can tell he's amused by my unabashed staring.

I raise my eyebrows, grinning. "Nothing, just looking."

"Why?"

"Because," I say as I push my side's arm rest up and shift a little closer. "You look so insanely sexy like that. I'm just trying to remember every detail, that's all."

Most of his face may be hidden, but the tips of his ears aren't. I see them turn that unbelievably wonderful shade of red and I can't help but feel just a bit triumphant.

"Christ," he scoffs, "how can you just say that?"

"If you think that's too much, wait till you hear what else I have to say."

I smirk and edge towards him, leaning over the cup holder in between us. Placing my hands on his upper arm, my lips hover near his ear.

Atty immediately doubles back, his shoulders bumping against the driver's side door. "Nope, no way. I know exactly what kinds of things you're going to say and as much as I want to hear them- god, do I want to hear them, I refuse to do so in a school parking lot."