|Giyuu x reader| Roses

Requested by: Lilsushicinnamonroll
Hanahaki disease AU
**************************************************

You watch the love of your life smile in front of your best friend, Makomo and felt your heart squeeze in pain. You were never chosen by the both of them, not to Giyuu and Sabito. You once watched as your best friend, Makomo accepted Sabito's confession, a day before he died. You were always by Makomo's side watching her complicated love story unfold while you stand by and comfort her in her sad times.

You always envied her, she already got the two guys in your life wrapped around her finger. You envied her but you never hated her for being the lovable one. You once thought that after Sabito, Giyuu would be yours, but you guess there was already a love triangle that you aren't a part of.

You turned your back to them and walked back inside Oyakata-sama's estate, hoping to find someone to talk to. An idea suddenly struck your mind, making you fasten your pace in walking. You knocked on a certain pink-haired Hashira's quarters in the Ubuyashiki Estate, hoping she would answer and give you advice.

The door opened, revealing Mitsuri showing her usual friendly smile. "oh hey y/n-chan~" she greeted happily. "uh I have something to talk to you about.. can I come in?" you  fiddled with your fingers nervously, your hands shaking. "of course! come in" she made way for you to enter her quarters. Her quarters were totally different from yours, more girly. Flower vases were placed in almost every corner of her room, a sakura-designed shojis (paper walls) and a cabinet full of pink futons and formal kimonos. 

She guided you to the table and made yourself comfortable, as she heated the water for tea. "So, what is it that you want to talk about, y/n-chan?" she asked, turning to me while placing the tea on the table. "it's about my non-existent love life" you started, making Mitsuri laugh as she sat down in front of you. "i'm sure there's someone placed on that heart of yours, y/n-chan" she smiled sweetly. 

"Well yeah.. his name was Sabito..." you started to talk about your experience starting from when you fell in love with Sabito ever since you were kids, to my second time of falling for someone that has Makomo in his heart. Throughout your story, Mitsuri listened silently.

She looked at you sadly, sending you a sympathetic smile. Her eyes suddenly turned dark, widening in realisation. You moved a little closer to her in curiousity "what is it, Kanroji-san?" You asked nervously.

She looked at you with all seriousness before standing up and grabbing a somewhat journal from her bookshelves. She sat next to you and opened it, dusting off the inside.

She turned to you, "do you know about the hanahaki disease?" She asked, staring into your eyes. You shook your head no and looked down at the journal.

"Who owns this journal?" You asked curiously.

"This was from my ancestors passed down to me, but until now, I still don't have any idea why. This journal is all about love and affection. At the last page of it is a disease one can have if suffering from a one sided love for too long" she explained turned the journal to the last page.

It contained only a few pages but you doubt you can finish it now. Without saying anything, Mitsuri understood you and lent you journal. "Here, you can borrow it. You must read it, y/n-chan." You were quite taken back by the sudden change of Mitsuri's personality causing you to be more scared than nervous on what you're about to read.

You said your farewells and went to your quarters, eager and curious to read what's on the last page of the journal. Before you even got to open the journal, you coughed, a painful feeling shot up in your throat. You forcibly cough trying to cough out something stuck in your throat.

You coughed on your hand, pulling it away. Your eyes went wide to what reveals in front of you, it was only a petal of a rose, but it was enough to keep you awake that night, missing the chance to read the journal.

In the morning, as soon as you woke up, you suddenly felt the urge to vomit. You ran to the bath and threw up, you felt something whole in your throat as tears threaten to out of your eyes.

What the hell is happening, you thought to yourself. After minutes of painful vomiting, you looked down at the toilet, shocked to see a rose without it's stalk as the waters turned red from the blood you vomited.

-Is a disease on can have if suffering from a one sided love for too long. You suddenly remembered Mitsuri's words, stumbling to your desk and opened the journal.

You spent hours reading the journal, highlighting important stuff like the cure. It can only be cured when the one you love returns back your feelings but other than that, no medicine can cure it.

You suddenly felt your hopes and dreams crash as your heart drops in hopelessness. Realisation hit you like a train, knowing you would die as early as your early 20s, knowing that you wouldn't get to experience love again, knowing that you can never experience what it's like to be happy with the one you love even just for a moment.

You covered your mouth trying to contain the sobs that escape your lips as tears flow freely from your eyes. You felt a slight metallic taste in your mouth as you suddenly felt the urge to cough, you looked down at your hand seeing  bloody petals from your mouth.

You suddenly heard a slight knock on your door. "Who-" you cleared your throat, causing a painful surge on your throat. "Who is it?" You asked, trying not to wince in pain loudly.

"It's me Mitsuri, can I come in, y/n-chan?" Mitsuri's soft voice echoed in your quarters. You immediately washed the blood from your hands and opened the door.

"Come in, Kanroji-san" you made way for her to come in. She smiled at you and entered "you can call me Mitsuri, y/n-chan" you smiled at her in response.

"So what is it, Mitsuri?" You asked as you seated on the mat, gesturing for Mitsuri to take a seat. "Oh, nothing just cheking up on you, you were a little shaken up last night. I'm sorry about that" she sent you a reassuring smile but you didn't think it was very reassuring after what you read and experienced.

"Can I wash my hands in your kitchen, y/n-chan. I just painted a few details on my walls last night, I tried to take it out but there's still some paint left" you look at her with slight suspicion but you agreed, anyways what's washing her hands going to hurt?

"Y/n-chan?" She called from the kitchen, you made your way to her. You were quite nervous, you wanted to tell her about the disease but you couldn't help but feel nervous.

When you arrived to the kitchen, your eyes widened when you saw Mitsuri holding the petal that was coughed out to you hand earlier.

You clenched your fist, your hands trembling. You started to sob, covering your face with your hands, suddenly feeling Mitsuri's arms around you. "Oh, I'm sorry, y/n-chan".

Days went on like a fuzz, the vomiting became usual as it became harsher to your throat. You felt the thorns wound you throat as you vomit a whole rose out, a few blood with it too.

You decided to stay a little bit at the Ubuyashiki estate so you can be a little closer to Mitsuri. She had been helping and comforting you throughout the days. Recently, she had been sleeping over at yours so that she can help you, and you always thanked her for her suport.

This few days, you were bedridden, your muscles too weak to support you. You haven't seen Giyuu nor Makomo around since the meeting but thinking about them made your throat sting more.
This was probably your last day, you thought to yourself. Mitsuri panicked and called whoever was present in the estate to help you, you were starting to breath a little slower as your heart struggles to pump. You felt like there were thorns wrapping around your heart.

You couldn't open your eyes but you heard the faint sounds of footsteps and voices calling your name. You felt a warm hand hold yours tightly, as they whisper in your ear. "I'm sorry, y/n..." a familar voice spoke out.

You forced your eyes to open, seeing Giyuu hold you hand as tears flow from his eyes. You gathered your last energy to place a hand on his cheek. "I.... love..you" you spoke out before eternal sleep pulled you into the dark abyss