|Rengoku x reader| Christmas Eve

Requested by: EvtheMischievous
Modern AU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You focused reading the book on your hands as the fire crackles and the sounds of soft christmas music echoed around the room. A warm blanket covered your shoulders shielding you from the cold breeze peeking from the window.

You planned to stay up until your boyfriend comes home from work and you can enjoy christmas eve together. The food was already placed on the table, the steak, the wine and of course, the Christmas pudding.

Never mind if the food goes cold, as long as he arrives and celebrates this cold holiday with you. You even turned down your friends' invites for their christmas eve dinner so you can have an alone time with him. You barely have any time together since he goes to work early in the morning and comes home a little too early for you to arrive from work.

The wall clock ticks noisily, every minute passing by was beginning to be dreadful. A long time ago, this peaceful christmas would've been perfect, but ever since Kyojurou came into your life, being away from him for too long was agonizing- as clingy as that sounds.

It's already 8 in the evening, you tried to push down the worry that was building up in your stomach, he must have a good reason to be late right? Worrying would be futile, you tried to convince yourself.

You closed the book and placed it on the coffee table in front of you, at the same time grabbing your phone. You checked the messages and found two text messages from him, just a few moments ago.

I promise I'll be there before Christmas Eve, Love

I'm already on my way back home.

8:32

You smiled and placed down the phone, that was enough to put you at ease and stop you from assuming the worst case scenario.

As you were about to open the same book you were reading, the door knob twisted open. Your eyes immediately lit up and got up from the couch to greet him. Kyojurou stepped in and greeted you his usual smile. "Hey love, sorry I'm late" he dropped his bag on the ground to accept your hug.

You wrapped your arms around his neck, snuggling you head on the crook of his neck. "It's alright" you assured, your voice muffled. He pulled away and placed a quick peck on your forehead.

"How about we eat dinner immediately, it's getting cold, y'know" you grabbed his bag from the ground and carefully place it on the couch, then proceeding to take off his jacket and hanging it on the coat rack.

He chuckled and wrapped his arms around your shoulder, pulling you close. "Dinner it is!" He exclaimed, taking you to the dinning table and pulled the chair for you, like the gentleman he is. The dinner went well, he kept throwing occasional compliments at you like always and kept saying how tasty your cooking was.

Kyojurou sent you grins and smiles, making your heart skip a beat and feeling the fluttering of butterflies in your stomach like what characters feel in a cliche love story. It was just like your first weeks he courted you, giving you the intense feeling of nostalgia. You just can't help but fall in love with the man every time.

After dinner he helped you clean up the dishes and the table, which you appreciated very much. As he finished putting the plates on the cabinets, you made hot chocolate with marshmallows just how he likes it.

The two of you slumped down and snuggled up on the couch, as he pulled you close to him. You rested your head on his chest, feeling the beat of his heart on your ear. He stroked your hair as you watch Christmas movies on the television, the wind from the window didn't affect you anymore like it did earlier.

With him close to you was warm enough for your body and it was warm enough to melt your heart. Throughout the movie, he suggested "do you want to see the big Christmas tree in the middle of the city park? Their lighting it up as soon as the clock strikes twelve" he looked down at your face, his eyes glistening as the fire reflected on them.

Your eyes lit up, sitting and pulled him up. "Yeah! Let's go!" You jumped and ran to your room, grabbing your jacket and gloves to protect you from the cold winds of December. You carefully went downstairs, and saw him waiting for you at the door, already wearing his jacket.

He smiled at you and held your hand tight. Kyojurou wrapped his arms around your shoulders as you walked to the park. He then proceeded to hold your hand and slipped it on the pockets of his jacket, warming you up.

His gestures are to fall for, making your heart beat fasten. "You okay, love?" He asked, suddenly stopped walking and looked at you worriedly. You nodded pulled him to continue walking. You looked up to the skies, observing the slow drops of snowflakes on the ground, trees and lamps.

You arrived at the park, the scene taking you back. You didn't expect this many people to experience the lighting of the tree, they were with their loved ones , their family, and friends. It somehow brought happiness in you.

You sat down on a bench and waited for the countdown silently. As if on cue, the people started counting down from ten seconds. It was already ten seconds away from Christmas, luckily you arrived just in time.

As they counted you relieved the memorable moments that happened before christmas.

10, the trip to Paris after 3 years of dating as his anniversary gift to you.

9, the summer trip with his family.

8, the biggest fight you had in 3 years.

7, the best apology you've ever heard in your entire life.

6, experiencing your sister, Mitsuri, getting married.

5, getting promoted.

4, getting to meet the class he was teaching.

3, the best halloween party with your friends from highschool

2, seeing Kyojurou and his father finally bond together

1, cuddling and watching christmas movies on a cold christmas night.

Those past months were full of amazing moments but those ten moments were the ones that really struck your brain, the ones that will probably never be forgotten.

"Merry Christmas!" They shouted, happily. The tree lit up beautifully, bringing a big smile on your face. The lights were beautiful, the star on top of the tree shines brightly like the northern star on an undisturbed sky.

You looked at Kyojurou beside you to see if he felt the gleaming glee that was in you but he wasn't beside at the moment.

He was in front of you, on one knee as he holds a velvet box in his hands. Your eyes widened, bringing your hand to your mouth, shocked and almost brought to tears. He opened the box revealing a diamond ring, sitting on its burgundy foam.

His fiery red and yellow eyes filled with determination as his hair flew blown by the cold air. This was just the perfect moment, the perfect christmas eve that you've ever experienced in your years of existence.

Can you ever forget this moment after years? Will you ever feel the same way for someone else if Kyojurou haven't came into your life? You weren't about to try and answer those questions and just lived the moment happening in front of you.

"Y/n, will you make me the happiest man on earth and spend the rest of your lifetime with me?"

Yes I will, Kyojurou.